Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

I was trying to feed our Rodesian Ridgeback some hip/joint…

Customer Question
I was trying to...

I was trying to feed our Rodesian Ridgeback some hip/joint pills and was covering them with peanut butter for a couple weeks now and just found out yesterday that dogs are NOT supposed to have peanut butter. He's eating and drinking OK, but after he lays down, he's struggling to get back up. After walking for a minute he's OK, but he holds his front left paw up like he can't walk on it. The last time I gave him peanutbutter was Friday...does this just have to work out of his system? Is there anything I can do to help him?

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Expert will know how to help the Rhodesian Ridgeback. What is the Rhodesian Ridgeback's name?

Rylie.

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Rylie?

He's about 7yrs old...we were thinking he's having some joint issues. He used to just eat the joint pills, but now he spits them out...that's why I covered them in peanut butter...he shows all the symptoms of what happens when dogs eat peanut butter.

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
3/25/2018
Dog Veterinarian: Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian replied 3 months ago
Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian

Thank you for using Just Answer. My name is Rebecca; I am a veterinarian. Please give me a moment to type my answer.

I am sorry to hear you are concerned about Rylie. Peanut butter is not toxic to dog, but they are starting to sweeten peanut butter with xylitol, which is toxic to dogs. Peanut butter that is unsweetened, or sweetened with sugar should be OK.

You can try liverwurst, to get him to take his pills.

I just researched peanut butter on a site of veterinary specialists and experts, and the only concern is the xylitol.

If your peanut butter does contain xylitol, the symptoms are low blood sugar, and liver disease. You would see weakness, vomiting, not eating.

I hope you are able to see my responses! Let me know what other questions you have.

How is Rylie? Please let me know if this was helpful and if you have other questions.