Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My mom gave her Russel puppies dewormer.It was a yellow

Hi.My mom gave her...

Hi.My mom gave her Jack Russel puppies dewormer.It was a yellow liqiud that she got from the vet.We are very far from the vet.They are vommiting and do not want to eat.What can we give them

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Hopefully it didn't make a mess. Did the puppy eat anything unusual?

No.It started after we gave them the dewormer.What is the best food to give them.

Veterinarian's Assistant: OK. The Expert will know what to do. What is the Jack's name?

Tessa and she is a month old

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Tessa?

She must still get her injections.Can we give her something just to calm the vommiting till we can get to the vet.We have lexapet will that help her bowl.

3/25/2018
Dr. G.
Dr. G., Dog Veterinarian

Hello, my name is***** am a licensed veterinarian and I will try and help you as best as I can.

Please allow a few minutes for me to read your responses and for me to respond back.

Thanks.

I am sorry to hear the puppies are vomiting.

How soon after the dewormer did they vomit?

We gave it on Friday morning and they started to vomit on Saturday.My mom says that they had long worms in their poop.She is giving them water with a injection so that they do not get dehydrated.

I see. It is likely they are vomiting from the large worm load. This is very common. We can often see vomiting from both the dewormer and the worms themselves, which can cause the appetite to go down.

Do you have any anti-nausea medications like famotidine or ranitidine or easy access to them?

No.We are far from the nearest town.Is there any human products that we can use till the local vet is available (living near a small town with only one vet).Like gaviscon or something.PLEASE

Gaviscon would work. I generally like famotidine or ranitidine a little better (both are human products), but they may not be available in your area. Do you have Gaviscon at home currently?

Also, how much do the puppies weigh right now?

We have lexapet,purbac,gaviscon and petcam (I think this is pain medication).
Will the gaviscon work for vommiting band diarhea.

I would go with the gaviscon for now and avoid the other drugs.

I would give about 0.5ml of gaviscon every 12 hours for 2 doses. That should hopefully improve what is happening with the GI upset.

You can syringe food and water if they will take it to keep them hydrated and that should hopefully cause an improvement in the next 1-2 days.

Do you have more fluids available for injection at home currently? They may benefit from fluids once daily by injection for the next couple days as well to keep them hydrated.

Can they die from this?!?!?!?I shall contact you again when I am with them.Thanks.You are great.

I would start with the Gaviscon and syringe water if they are having multiple vomiting episodes. If the gaviscon is not helping after 24 hours, and you feel they are worsening, you may need a vet visit. I think this is probably related to the parasites and dewormer and I would expect them to recover. If they start having very bad diarrhea that does not improve within 24 hours, this could be something more dangerous.

Can we give the milk.

You can give the milk. That should not be a problem and may be helpful.

Dr. G.
Dr. G., Dog Veterinarian

I wish you and the puppies the best. Have a wonderful day!

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. G.