Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My lab has an odor coming from his ears, he's shaking his…

Customer Question
My lab has an...

My lab has an odor coming from his ears, he's shaking his head a lot and scratches at them.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What is the lab's name and age?

Max he's 11

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Max?

He spends time outside but is mostly in the home. We live in a warm climate area (NC)

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
3/25/2018
Dog Veterinarian: Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian replied 3 months ago
Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian

Thank you for using Just Answer. My name is Rebecca; I am a veterinarian. Please give me a moment to type my answer.

I am sorry to hear you are concerned about Max. He may have something in the ear, such as plant material or a tick. When you look in his ears, you are only seeing about 20% of the ear canal; you need an otoscope to see the whole ear canal, and the ear drum.

The most common reason for a dog to have odor in the ears, with scratching and shaking is an ear infection, bacterial or yeast and often both. The most common reason for a dog to get an ear infection is an underlying allergic reaction.

The first thing is to have a veterinarian use an otoscope to look into the ears. If there is nothing to remove like plant material or a tick, then I would clean the ears, and start medication for infection, inflammation, and I would start to look for the underlying cause. If you do not treat the underlying allergic reaction, these infections tend to not clear up, or to just keep coming back.