Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

She’s yelling for no reason. Yelping* it’s a 8 year old

She’s yelling for no...

She’s yelling for no reason

Veterinarian's Assistant: What sort of animal are we talking about?

Yelping* it’s a 8 year old border collie/corgi mix

Veterinarian's Assistant: OK. I'll do all I can to help. What is the matter with the Border collie?

I barely touch her and she’s yelling. I’ve checked her back, her paw, all of her legs and she doesn’t seem hurt but my room mate tried picking her up and she yelped and nipped at her face. She’s whines when she’s trying to jump on the couch and I just lightly patted her head and she softly yelled again

Veterinarian's Assistant: Strange behavior is often perplexing. I'm sure the Veterinarian can help you. What is the Border collie's name and age?

Mollie and she’s 8 years old

Veterinarian's Assistant: How old is Mollie?

8 years old

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Mollie?

She has arthritis in her front paws

Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call.
Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Please email me before calling
3/25/2018
Heath Wilkerson

Hi. Dr. W here. I am reading your initial post now. Give me a few minutes please. Thanks

Thank you
No phone call please

okay no problem, sorry I misunderstood and thought that's what you were needing

I hit the wrong button earlier when I was checking my original message

A couple of questions:

Did you also check for any pain along the spine of her neck?

Is her stomach tight/swollen/painful?

I’d like to add that I just took her out for a walk and she yelped when I opened the door. It didn’t touch her or anything and it seemed like she had a little difficulty coming back up the stairs. She had a really small bowel movement
I touched her and she didn’t seem like it bothered her. All this just came on around 8pm Saturday night
Her ears are really warm too, I don’t know if that’s a sign of anything

It sounds most like a neck injury from what you've told me so far. If you take her snout and press it in all four directions (first press her chin down toward her chest so that she is tucking her head, then lift under her chin and extend her head all the way up, then press her muzzle from side to side making her turn her head completely) do you get any resistance in any direction? Does any direction cause her to be painful?

I just did that and there was no resistance, and she she didn’t cry or anything

Okay that's good. Does it hurt her when you press on her stomach?

No, she seems to ok with it. Her stomach is normal too, not swollen from I can tell

Okay, and the warm ears, if you rub at the base of each ear do they sound squishy or are they painful?

They feel more squishy. She just tried to get up and squeaked again

That's very strange. I wish she could talk! ;) So I'm wondering if she pulled a muscle in her hip. A muscle sprain/strain could cause her intermittent pain when getting up and down.

The ears shouldn't sound wet, so if they are then there could be an ear infection in one or both ears.

If it’s a sprain or an ear infection what should I do to treat it?

With this type of nondescript pain, if she is acting normally otherwise, I would just watch her and let her rest. You should notice an improvement within about 48 hours for these types of injuries. If it is worsening, then it may be time to schedule an appointment with your vet.

Ok, is there anything I can do or give her in the mean time other than let her rest?

Do you think she needs pain medication right now or can she rest comfortably when she is not getting up and down?

She seems like she can lay/sleep comfortably

The only over the counter pain reliever/anti-inflammatory approved for dogs is Aspirin. The dose is 10 – 20 mg/kg of buffered aspirin by mouth twice daily. Sometimes people will also use Benadryl 1 mg/lb by mouth to help their pet sleep more comfortably. Your vet of course will have many more prescription options available should you need them. It’s my pleasure to help you and your pet! Please remember to “ACCEPT AN ANSWER” in the top right hand corner of your screen, AND RATE OUR CONVERSATION 5-STARS (so I will receive credit for helping you). Bonuses are always welcome. (I am not compensated in any other way). If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! I’ll be online for another hour or so. Thanks and have a great night!

Heath Wilkerson
Thank you so much!