Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

She's on her estrus cycle & her urine smells fishy with

She's on her estrus...

She's on her estrus cycle & her urine smells fishy with blood.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What is the dog's name and age?

Lady, 9+ months. This is her first heat cycle.

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Lady?

That's it.

3/25/2018
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today.

Are you seeing any pus mixed with her urine?

Is she passing large or small volumes of urine?

Any straining or blood?

Customer reply replied 29 days ago
There is no pus & she’s not straining to urine. She is housebroken & past two days has starting peeing in the house again.
Customer reply replied 29 days ago
There is blood but like I mentioned she’s on her heat cycle.

Hello again,

Now I am glad to see there is no pus as that makes a uterine infection less likely. However, the signs you noted (including her accidents in the house) ring alarm bells of a urinary tract infection (UTI). It can also be seen with urinary crystal troubles, bladder stones, kidney infections, and bladder tumors but these are less likely.

Now this is quite common at her age (and when her immune system is weakened by the heat cycle) often arises from E.coli (a normal GI bacteria) gaining access to the bladder by fecal contamination of the female genitalia. If you have ever had cystitis, you will know that it is not a pleasant infection to have. We often see affected animals straining to urinate frequently or have accidents due to the irritation from the infection making the bladder feel tense and sore.

To give her some relief at the moment, you can try to increase her urine dilution via increasing her fluid intake. This can be achieved by tempting her to drink or you can offer wet food, (as this is 35% water) to sneak some water into her system. As well, aloe vera berry juice (available at health food stores) can be helpful in changing the urine pH and making the bladder more comfortable.

Though while these urine dilution steps will help flush out bacteria and soothe that inflamed bladder, it often won't clear the infection on its own. Therefore, in your wee ones’s case, I would advise that is prudent for her to see her vet (urgently, though not an emergency situation). And if possible, try and collect a urine sample. The vet will be able to analyze the sample, determine if there are bacteria and white blood cells present (signs of infection), and rule out other issues like crystals or glucose (a marker of diabetes). If infection is found, the vet will also be able to prescribe a broad spectrum antibiotic and pain relief to make her comfortable and clear the infection. And that way we can nip this in the bud before her accidents become a habit or before this can spread into the uterus or kidneys.

Kind regards,

Dr. B

**************************

If you have any other questions, please ask – I’m happy to help. Afterward, as I am dedicating my evenings & weekends to helping you, I would be grateful if you could please take the time rate me with the **STARS** (or leave a written rating of 1-5; 5 being great). Otherwise the site does not credit me for helping you. There is no extra charge for this (its included in your question fee). Once you rate, your question will not close & you can still ask follow-up questions. Thank you for helping me to keep helping everyone here. : )**

Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Customer reply replied 29 days ago
Okay thank you.

You are very welcome, my dear.
Have a lovely day,
Dr. B.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. B.
Dr. B.
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian