Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

We can’t get her to eat, she won’t get off her bed and last…

Customer Question
We can’t get her...

We can’t get her to eat, she won’t get off her bed and last night she had yellow sickness

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What is the dog's name and age?

Dam dog she is either 14/15

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is the dog's name?

Damndog

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the dog?

She takes propalin daily, which she is now not taking due to not eating and also she is on a renal diet. I know I am not supposed to but the only think I could get her to eat yesterday was a boiled piece of lamb and she didn’t each that much.

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
3/25/2018
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Schmidt, Dog Veterinarian replied 1 month ago
Dr. Schmidt
Dr. Schmidt, Dog Veterinarian

Hello, this is Dr. Schmidt. Thank you for using JustAnswer. She might not be eating due to her underlying kidney disease. Has she had her kidney levels checked? She might need to go to the pet hospital and get some IV fluids for her kidneys to make her feel better, but in the meanwhile, here are some things that would be safe to try. If you're not seeing an improvement, or she is getting worse, I would take her in to the vet for a check up.

You can give Pepcid (0.25 mg/lb) every 12 hours for the next few days. It is an antacid that can help decrease the acidity in the stomach and help with inappetence. I would feed boiled chicken and white rice for the next few days. It is a bland diet that can help with inappetence. You can also syringe feed some Pedialyte to help with hydration. You can also give some canned food or chicken baby food to help with appetite if the chicken and rice isn't appetizing. Let me know if you have any other questions.

If you have a moment to fill out a positive review (by clicking on the **stars** at the top of the page) for me I would greatly appreciate it. This is the only way the website can credit me for my time. Thank you so much and good luck!

Dr. Schmidt
Dr. Schmidt
Dr. Schmidt, Dog Veterinarian