Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My dogs right ear is dropping to the side and her right side…

My dogs right ear...

My dogs right ear is dropping to the side and her right side is swollen. I have a pomeranian and she keeps shaking her head ans scratching it. She keeps trying to place her ear near our hand. Just wondering what she has and how worried i should be

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about your dog?

We did just buy another puppy, they play fight alot but other then that not that i know of

3/25/2018
Heath Wilkerson

Hi, Dr. W here. I'm sorry to hear this. It sounds like she may have a nasty ear infection that is making her uncomfortable. Your vet should have some ointment to put in the ear that will make it feel much better and get rid of the infection gradually over the next few days.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Would i also need to treat the new puppy and should i keep them separated?There is an after hour vet nearby, should i go now or would i be okay to take her in the morning to our regular vet?

Ear infections are not typically an emergency so if she is acting normally otherwise you should be able to do this in the morning. Ear infections are not contagious so you don't need to separate them. It’s my pleasure to help you and your pet! Please remember to “ACCEPT AN ANSWER” in the top right hand corner of your screen, AND RATE OUR CONVERSATION 5-STARS (so I will receive credit for helping you). Bonuses are always welcome. (I am not compensated in any other way). If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! I’ll be online for another hour or so. Thanks and have a great night!

Heath Wilkerson

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Heath Wilkerson
Heath Wilkerson
Heath Wilkerson
Heath Wilkerson