Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

I have a 50lb dog that chewed up at least a 1/2 bottle of…

I have a 50lb...

I have a 50lb dog that chewed up at least a 1/2 bottle of ibuprofen.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Strange behavior is often perplexing. I'm sure the Veterinarian can help you. What is the dog's name and age?

Edison 1.5 years old

3/25/2018
Heath Wilkerson

Hi, Dr. W here. Can you tell me how many pills were in the bottle? Was it a 100 count bottle? etc Thank you

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Not a full 100. Probably about 75.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
He vomitted but not sure if he's got them all up yet.

Ok thank you so if he ate half of 75 lets say 40 pills at 200 mg each that's 8000 mg. Here is a breakdown of what you would expect to see when a dog eats Ibuprofen:

• GI signs: >25 mg/kg
  • Renal signs: >175 mg/kg
  • CNS signs: >400 mg/kg

Edison potentially ate 8000 mg which is close to the CNS (central nervous system) symptoms level. At his dose we expect to see damage to the GI tract and kidneys. So, it is important that he be seen at a veterinary ER to get started on IV fluids and medication to protect the kidneys. they may want to keep him for a couple of days to monitor his kidneys.

Do you have any other questions? It’s my pleasure to help you and your pet! Please remember to “ACCEPT AN ANSWER” in the top right hand corner of your screen, AND RATE OUR CONVERSATION 5-STARS (so I will receive credit for helping you). Bonuses are always welcome. (I am not compensated in any other way). If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! I’ll be online for another hour or so. Thanks and have a great night!

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Should I induce more vomiting until I can get him to the vet ?

If you are comfortable that he emptied his stomach then I wouldn't, because too much vomiting can damage the stomach lining making the effects of the Ibuprofen on the stomach lining even worse.

Heath Wilkerson
Heath Wilkerson
Heath Wilkerson
Heath Wilkerson