Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

I took my dog to the vet last week because we noticed her…

Customer Question
I took my dog...

I took my dog to the vet last week because we noticed her back leg was swollen about double in size. As I bent down to take a look at it, i noticed that she had an open wound inside the flap of her leg. It looked like she had been licking it to the point it was raw. We took her to the vet, he prescribed 2 antibiotics, 1 which is antifungal, and steroids. We also got Benadryl per his advice. We came home started her on the meds and she looked like she was getting better, the swelling had gone almost completely away and her excessive licking stopped. This morning I woke and noticed her leg is starting to swell again, and her front leg on the same side she is now limping on and her foot looks like it's bent.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Is your dog bleeding a lot?

She is not bleeding it just looks very raw

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is your dog's name and age?

Isis 12

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Isis?

A couple nights ago she was breathing rapidly and was very restless, her behavior has been different as well.

Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
3/25/2018
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian replied 2 months ago
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian

You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. Please let me know if you still need help. May I have an update on Isis, please?

Do you live where Isis could have been envenomated by a snake - crotalid (e.g., rattler) or elapid (coral snake)? Have you had a problem with poisonous spiders - black widow or brown recluse?

I live in the catalina foothills so its highly possible it could be any of those, but we we took her to the vet they shaved down the sore area and found no bite marks.

Thank you for the additional information. Those bite marks could have been obliterated by the open wound. Isis's vet will need to know that the leg is swelling again - which isn't unusual with envenomations - crotolid where you live. Debriding (removing devitalized tissue) the wound may be necessary at this time and possibly again in the future. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?