Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My dog ate Sheetrock. She’s 11 weeks and she does not have…

Customer Question
My dog ate Sheetrock ...

My dog ate Sheetrock

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. The Expert will know if your dog will be able to digest that. What is your dog's name and age?

She’s 11 weeks and she does not have name yet

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is the dog's name?

The pound called her onyx

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Onyx?

Not that I know of

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
3/25/2018
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. B., Veterinarian replied 3 months ago
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today. I do apologize that your question was not answered before. Different experts come online at various times; I just came online, read about your wee one’s situation, and wanted to help.

Again I do apologize that my colleagues could not aid you sooner. If you would still like assistance, can you tell me:

How long ago did this happen?

How much did she eat?

Any retching, gagging, lip licking, drooling, or vomiting?

Are her gums pink or white/pale? Moist or sticky?

If you press on her belly, any tensing, tenderness, discomfort, or pain?

Any diarrhea, black stool or straining to go?

It happened about 8 hours ago we didn’t think she ate much my mom got most of it before she ate it no gagging or vomit no diarrhea or straining

Hello again,

Now I am glad to hear that it wasn't much and that she hasn't any adverse signs at this point. Of course, we do need to tread with care, use supportive care and close monitoring at this point. Especially as sheet rock has the potential to erode/traumatize the GI as well as cause blockage.

Now with this in mind, the first thing we'd want to do here is plan to feed small meals of a light diet. Examples of an easily digestible diet include cooked white rice with boiled chicken, boiled white fish, scrambled egg, or meat baby food (as long as its free from garlic or onion powder). Whichever you choose to offer, you can add some fiber (ie a spoonful of tinned pumpkin or all bran) to the food to bulk up her stool and push this material through the intestines. As well, you can also add a dose of a GI lubricant (ie cat hairball medication Miralax, lactulose or food grade mineral oil). These can be beneficial for getting this slipping through the gut.

While doing this, we do need to keep a close eye on her . Red flags of trouble or obstruction include restlessness, lethargy, vomiting with blood or coffee ground type material, inability to keep any food or water down, anorexia, pale gums, straining to pass feces or passage of black feces (digested blood). If you see these signs, then having her seen would be best for her vet to have a feel of her belly +/- an xray to see where everything is and whether it will pass on its own.

Overall, situations like these always require us to be on our toes and tread with care. Since she is not showing any signs, we'd want to take the above approach here while keeping a close eye. But if you see any of those warning signs, then having her examined +/- xrayed would be ideal so you can appreciate whether there is any risk. But otherwise we'd hope to use the above to push this all through and out the other end over the next 48 hours.

Kind regards,

Dr. B

**************************

I aim to provide best care for your pets just as I do for my own patients. If you have any other questions, please ask – I’m happy to help afterwards please take the time rate me with the **STARS** (or leave a written rating of 1-5; 5 being great) as otherwise the site does not credit me for helping you. There is no extra charge for this (its included in your question fee). Once you rate, your question will not close & you can still ask follow-up questions. Thank you for helping me to keep helping everyone here. : )**