Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My german shepherd threw up and has diarrea and is whining…

Customer Question
My german shepherd threw...

My german shepherd threw up and has diarrea and is whining constantly. She keeps licking at her butt.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Hopefully it didn't make a mess. Did your dog eat anything unusual?

Oh yes, but that is what you have to deal with when they are sick.

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is your dog's name and age?

Her name is ***** ***** she is 7 and no i dont believe she ate annything bad

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
3/25/2018
Dog Veterinarian: Heath Wilkerson,
 replied 3 months ago
Heath Wilkerson

Hi, Dr. W here, I'm sorry to hear about this with Kaiawah. If the vomiting and diarrhea persist longer than 24 hours, she should be seen by her vet for fluids and electrolytes and medications to stop the vomiting and diarrhea. In the mean time you can help by offering Pedialyte for hydration and electrolyte balance and some canned pumpkin to help settle his stomach. You can also give Pepcid (0.25 mg/lb) every 12 hours for the next few days. It is an antacid that can help decrease the acidity in the stomach. I would feed boiled chicken and white rice for the next 24 hours. It is a bland diet that can help while the stomach is getting back to normal.

Dog Veterinarian: Heath Wilkerson,
 replied 3 months ago

How is everything going? It’s my pleasure to help you and your pet! Please remember to “ACCEPT AN ANSWER” in the top right hand corner of your screen, AND RATE OUR CONVERSATION 5-STARS (so I will receive credit for helping you). Bonuses are always welcome. (I am not compensated in any other way). If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! I’ll be online for another hour or so. Thanks and have a great night! (or day depending on what time zone you are in :)

Dog Veterinarian: Heath Wilkerson,
 replied 3 months ago

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Heath Wilkerson