Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Last night my Viszla was disturbed by a critter of some kind…

Customer Question
Last night my Viszla...

Last night my Viszla was disturbed by a critter of some kind and put chase on my farm. When I got her back she had a scratch/cut on her back left leg. I cleaned it with spray on Hydrogen peroxide and today she seemed fine all day while ‘overseeing’ my landscape project. We are spending g the night w friends and after going to bed she got restless, left the bed ( she was sleeping with me) and the wound has swollen and she is very uncomfortable. And can’t walk on it nor will she get back on the bed.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What sort of animal are we talking about?

She’s a Viszla about 46 lbs. will be 2 in July

Veterinarian's Assistant: Maybe I'm confused. I thought you had a problem with a pet. Is that correct?

Yes. A Viszla is a dog breed

Veterinarian's Assistant: Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Expert will know how to help the dog. What is the dog's name and age?

I just told yo

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the dog?

Lola is her name. She will be 2 years old in July, making her about 1 year 9 months

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
3/25/2018
Dog Veterinarian: Scott Perry, Dog Veterinarian replied 3 months ago
Scott Perry
Scott Perry, Dog Veterinarian

Hello. My name is***** and I am a veterinarian that can answer your question. I understand Lola sustained a wound on her leg and now it is swollen and painful. She is not putting weight on the leg. Is that a correct summary of the situation?

I have a picture I could text. The wound swelled up suddenly

I would appreciate the picture. You can attach it here by clicking on the paperclip icon on the toolbar. Let me know if you have any difficulty with that or questions.

Just checking in. Are we still connected?

The service was advertised as free. Then I was charged a fee that was not clear as to the amount. Now I am being asked for more money. When do I get an answer and where do I find the paper clip icon to upload the picture.
I lost the conversation while scrolling for the paper clip icon and had to start all over
Are you there

I am here. There is a $5 deposit and then a $15 fee for an answer from a veterinarian. If you wish to have a phone call then that is an extra charge, but that is only voluntary and for your convenience. The website automatically offers the phone call as a service, but you do not have to take it and I can answer your question without it.

The answer to your question comes once I am able to look at the pictures. Let me know if you are having difficulty finding the paperclip icon.

I cannot find the icon

Are you able to email them? You can send them to***@******.***

Dr Perry,
I processed payment for a call but it is not working. The picture I emailed came back
With a non delivery notice. I’m staying with friends tonight and need to have an answer or a refund as I need some slerp
Sleep
Did that picture come through?

Yes, it just came through. I will look at it now. Are you still connected here?

This is definitely showing evidence of swelling around the ankle. If it involves the ankle joint, which it seems like it very well could be, then the diagnosis is an infectious bursitis. This needs to be treated promptly with antibiotics. Even if the swelling only consists of the skin and not the underlying joint, it should still be treated with antibiotics. You will also want to give Lola an anti-inflammatory medication and cold compress the area to reduce swelling.

I need a prescription called in to a cvs in Plano to so I can get her meds as I have to drive 100 miles tomorrow and need to get treatment going asap
Plano texas

This has to be from your veterinarian. Unfortunately, state laws prohibit a veterinarian from writing a prescription without performing a physical exam. I can give suggestions as what to do, which in this case, I would advise she be seen by a veterinarian first thing in the morning if there is not an emergency clinic nearby tonight. I would happily write her a prescription if I was allowed.

You can give an anti-inflammatory medication that is over-the-counter to reduce swelling and I can help you with that.

This is a rip off site as I have wasted two hours learning nothing I didn’t already know. Teledoc and webmd offer treatment scripts for people online and I expected treatment solutions and not a referral to my vet in the morning.
I will ask for a refund

Yeah, veterinarians are not allowed to do that. Human physicians are not either without a face to face communication.

I told you this was a septic bursitis, which is not something you already knew. I told you this was an emergency. You have the option to do with that information as you wish.