Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Boxer mix- 9 months old. Wt 60 lbs He was outside for about…

Boxer mix- 9 months...

Boxer mix- 9 months old. Wt 60 lbs He was outside for about an hour and when he came in his eyes were swollen shut and he had bumps all over him. Looks as though he has had an allergic reaction to mosquitos bites. I gave him Benadryl 50 mg approximately 20 minutes ago. No issues with his breathing at this time. But the swelling is not going down and he is very restless.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Strange behavior is often perplexing. I'm sure the Veterinarian can help you. What is the Boxer's name?

Rosco.

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Rosco?

No he is otherwise healthy.

3/25/2018
DocPaul
DocPaul, Veterinarian

Hi

Dr. Paul Brazzell here

You have done a great job so far

The trouble with Benadryl is that it works best to prevent reaction and does not work so well to treat the reaction once it has started

You are right to look for facial swelling and difficulty breathing

In this instance you could be in for a long night and I would feel much better sending you to the ER

They will give one or tow injections that will stop things ASAP

Then send you home with some steroid tablets

Can you take him in?

Paul

I can. I did give him prednisone 10 mg as well. If you think I should go in I will.

Oh hey!

If you have prednisone you can stay home

Give him another 20.0 mg now and then in the AM

How fortunate you have that there!!

Paul

sir. I am an ED RN. Always have it on hand. :) will do.

Good job!

That makes me happy

Okay make sure there is lots of fresh water to drink and take out lots to go pee- you know the drill :)

Update me in the AM

And you can rate me now -I will leave this link open for you

Cheers, Paul

DocPaul
DocPaul, Veterinarian
Thank you

Very welcome

Standing by

Paul

All swelling has resolved. Does he need meds today or a tapered dose of steroid?

I would give another dosage of 0.5 mg/kg prednisone (15.0 mg ) today

Often the symptoms will recur otherwise

And final dosage tonight

Lots of water please

Paul

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

DocPaul