Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Wobbly gait...lethargic...acting like he is scared of

Customer Question
Wobbly gait...lethargic...acting like he...

Wobbly gait...lethargic...acting like he is scared of everyone or like someone hurt him...yelps every time we move towards him

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Expert will know how to help the dog. What is the dog's name and age?

Cosmo 9 years old.

Veterinarian's Assistant: How old is Cosmo?

9

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Cosmo?

He is also shaking

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
3/25/2018
Dog Veterinarian: Heath Wilkerson,
 replied 3 months ago
Heath Wilkerson

Hi Dr. W here. I'm sorry Cosmo is in pain. What kind of dog is he? What was he doing right before this happened? Thanks

He is Miniature Pinscher. He weighs about 14 lbs. We just noticed he wasn't acting right...he won't hardly come out of his kennel.
Dog Veterinarian: Heath Wilkerson,
 replied 3 months ago

there are several possibilities, but in small breed dogs who suddenly are in pain and trembling and anticipating like he is crying out when you just move toward him, it is usually his neck. It is easy for them to get neck injuries similar to a pinched nerve and these are very painful and it's hard for him to relax with this. At the ER we will usually prescribe a pain medication, and anti-inflammatory, and a muscle relaxant if this is what's going on along with about 2 weeks of rest while is neck heals. If you have a vet nearby to take him to that would give him the most relief.

Dog Veterinarian: Heath Wilkerson,
 replied 3 months ago

I hope this answers your question. Do you have any more questions? I'll be online still for another hour or so. It’s my pleasure to help you and your pet! Please remember to “accept” my answer, AND RATE OUR CONVERSATION 5-STARS (so I will receive credit for helping you). Bonuses are always welcome. (I am not compensated in any other way). If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! I’ll be online for another hour or so. Thanks and have a great night!

Dog Veterinarian: Heath Wilkerson,
 replied 3 months ago

Hi, just checking back to see how everything is going?

Dog Veterinarian: Heath Wilkerson,
 replied 3 months ago

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Heath Wilkerson