Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

In spite of my efforts to toilet train my 18 month old

Customer Question
In spite of my...

In spite of my efforts to toilet train my 18 month old spanial---like taking her outside every now and again through the day and before bed at night, she still does her toilet inside when I am not aware. How do I re-train/stop this behaviour?

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What is the dog's name?

Georgie

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Dog Trainer should know about Georgie?

She is a very active dog and does obey most commands but cannot get this toilet business, the house is ground level so no steps to worry --I have tried to ignore and also telling her in a gruff voice when I do manage to sight her either just finished and on the rare time when I do see her.--I am just about at my wits end.

Submitted: 28 days ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
3/25/2018
Dog Veterinarian: Veterinarian101, Dog Veterinarian replied 28 days ago
Veterinarian101
Veterinarian101, Dog Veterinarian

Hello, I'm Dr. Luke and I would be happy to help you with your question. I am so sorry about your pet. I have over 19 years of experience as a veterinarian and I'd like to help. Are you available to discuss this situation online at this time? (if you get a phone call prompt from the system, please disregard as I am unable to do a phone call at this time).

***************

Toilet training can be very frustrating and I feel your pain at her not 'getting it' by 18 months of age. Thankfully there is a lot you can do to help and 're-treain' her.

You need to re-commence training as if she is a puppy (again).

You need to decide on an area outside that you want your dog to go the toilet. This is the area that you want her to go long term

There are 4 times when she is most likely to go to the toilet:
1. Just after eating
2. Just after playing
3. Just after waking
4. Just after release from confinement e.g. if she has been locked in the laundry while you have been out.

At these times you need to place her on a lead and collar and take her to the spot where you want her to go. Stay with her by holding the lead! You may need to wait 20-30 minutes. When she does go then reward her immediately with a food reward and praise.

If you are doing this and she is not going on the spot but rather perhaps when you are inside again, then set a timer to go off every 30 minutes or so to remind you to take her out for a chance to go to the toilet. When the timer goes off, place her on the collar and lead and take her to the spot. Again when she goes reward her with a treat and praise.

Cease all punishment of her for going to the toilet in the wrong spot. Rubbing her nose in it will not help - you just need to clean it up. Telling her 'no' after she has done it and putting her outside will not teach her anything (even though she looks guilty). She is more reacting to your angry tone and body language. Really you need to tell yourself off for not watching her more closely!! - sorry.

If you catch her in the act of going then distract her with a loud clap or similar. Do not punish her but rather take her outside to the spot and then reward her if she goes in the correct spot. If you punish her for urinating in front of you then she may learn not to urinate in front of you because she gets punished. Then she learns to urinate when you are not looking or not around or behind the couch etc.

When you are not home confine her to a small area with or without access to the toileting spot. If she does not have access to the spot then provide some newspaper or similar as a toilet in one corner of the room and place her food, water and bedding in another corner. If she is outside then do not worry about this

Be sure to clean up the urine inside the house with products called Animal Odor Eliminator, Urine-off or Biozet laundry detergent. Do not use other chemical cleaners as they can attract your dog back to the same spot. This can include steam cleaning the carpets. Ensure to soak the carpet with these products (after testing a small area for color fastness) to get into the underlay.

I am a behavior vet so please let me know if you have any further questions.

**************************
Your satisfaction is my goal and I welcome any follow-up questions that you may have. Your 5-star rating at the conclusion of this correspondence is most appreciated and bonuses are always welcome. Regards, ***** *****

Customer reply replied 26 days ago
I follow about 95% of these suggestions. Re: rewarding her with food I don't like, she loves food and would want it all of the time. I do make a fuss of her and tell her she is a good girl etc. I am home with her all of the time and the house is ground level and verandah leads straight onto the lawn and garden -so no excuse. I do not punish her but do maybe scold via a change of tone in my voice. I will purchase the cleaning agents mentioned.
Dog Veterinarian: Veterinarian101, Dog Veterinarian replied 25 days ago
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Veterinarian101
Dog Veterinarian: Veterinarian101, Dog Veterinarian replied 22 days ago

So pleased I was able to help.

Customer reply replied 17 days ago
Sorry for the delay,I have been doing the taking her for a walk or calling her out for a "wee" ( which she understands) routine and have been doing so for 18 months , but even if she does her toilet or not she has often come back and does it again inside..
Veterinarian101
Veterinarian101
Veterinarian101, Dog Veterinarian