Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My dog is almost 13...he's a Cookapoo. The Vet says he needs…

My dog is almost...

My dog is almost 13...he's a Cookapoo. The Vet says he needs some teeth out, but nervous to put him under at his age, and he has some other health issues...occasional seizures, lately diarrhea and throwing up his food. He seems to keep down a scrambled egg, but throws up his normal dry food, which we soften with some water. Not sure what else to feed him.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Seizures always look scary. Let's get you talking to the Veterinarian. What is the dog's name?

Buddy

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Buddy?

Not really, he has anxiety at the groomer and he went into a seizure last visit so he no longer goes. He's losing quite a bit of weight recently also

3/25/2018
Scott Perry
Scott Perry, Dog Veterinarian

Hello. My name is***** and I am a veterinarian that can answer your question. I understand Buddy needs some dental work performed, including some teeth extractions. He has some health issues including seizures, diarrhea, vomiting, and losing weight. I am sorry to hear about what is happening. Di the veterinarian happen to say if any of these teeth are abscessed or impacting Buddy's current health problems?

Customer reply replied 26 days ago
No, they didn't mention any of those problems. The last few weeks he hasn't been eating well, when he does he's throwing up. He's had some diarrhea. Feeding him some scrambled egg he keeps down, but the dog food we're softening with water he throws up within the hour.

Thank you for that information. Although the teeth may be a problem, it does not sound like they are the most significant issue if we were to prioritize them. Vomiting, diarrhea, and a lack of appetite certainly sound like the higher priority items.

Customer reply replied 26 days ago
No that's ok. Just trying to find out if there might be something else I can try feeding him. When he had the seizure at the groomer we took him to the vet, they did bloodwork that was fine. Could he just be old and on his way out?

Scrambled egg is a good bland diet choice. Other options you can try are boiled chicken, white rice, and sweet potato. It also sounds like a good medication to decrease nausea would also be helpful. Your veterinarian will have stronger prescription options, but decent over-the-counter choices are Pepcid or Zantac. Kaopectate is a good absorbent that can be given for the diarrhea.

I am happy to hear the blood work was fine. That only rules out 75-80% of common causes of vomiting. Imaging tests like an ultrasound of the abdomen will help to rule out the remainder. Rarely, a biopsy of the intestines is needed if the ultrasound does not reveal the underlying cause. Usually the ultrasound rules out the remaining choices.

Customer reply replied 26 days ago
OK thank you, I'll try the zantac...what about dosage?

About how much does he weigh?

Customer reply replied 26 days ago
25 to 30 lbs

Thank you. The dose is 25 mg every 8-12 hours. The over-the-counter type comes as a 75 mg tablet, so 1/4 tablet would be sufficient.

Does that help to answer your question?

Customer reply replied 26 days ago
ok thank you

You are most welcome. Please let me know if you have any other questions. I am here to help. If you have no other questions, I would appreciate a positive review when you get time. Leaving a review does not close out your question and you can come back to any time to ask additional questions. You can leave a five star review at the top of the screen. Thank you.

Customer reply replied 26 days ago
Can I feed him egg to much? or is it ok till we find something else

Egg is fine long term. You can continue to keep feeding it.

Scott Perry
Scott Perry, Dog Veterinarian
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
***** *****
Scott Perry
Scott Perry
Scott Perry, Dog Veterinarian