Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog ate 6 small pieces of gum. Bear - 10 months. Bear. 15…

Dog ate 6 small...

Dog ate 6 small pieces of gum

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. The Expert will know if the dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name and age?

Bear - 10 months

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is the dog's name?

Bear

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Bear?

15 pounds

3/25/2018
Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian

Hi, I'm Dr. Peter. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now and will post back with your reply ASAP.

1- Was the gum sugar-free? If so, can you look at the ingredients and see if it has Xylitol?

2- How long has it been since he ate it?

3- Do you have hydrogen peroxide 3%?

20 minutes, yes we do

So it is sugar free and has xylitol?

sugar free

Did you see if the ingredients have Xylitol?

it does . We gave him syrup after

Friend, let's try to make him vomit with hydrogen peroxide 3%. This is what you can do:

1- Give him 1/2 tablespoon of hydrogen peroxide 3% orally to induce vomiting.

2- Allow him to walk for a minute and move his belly to mix stomach content with peroxide. If he does not vomit within 5-10 minutes, repeat it again. Can give a total of 3 times 5-10 minutes apart.

3- If he does not vomit or you do not see the gum in the vomit I would have him checked by the nearest ER veterinarian and they can make him vomit with a medication called apomorphine. This needs to be done within the hour.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service. If you have any follow-up questions don't hesitate to ask. If finished, please take a moment to rate my service it is how I get compensated. See you again soon!

Dr. Peter

Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
DrRoyC
Phone call session started