Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

When my husband and I got home and I picked up our dog to…

When my husband and...

When my husband and I got home and I picked up our dog to love her I noticed blood on my hand and then saw what looks like a puncture wound to the center of her chest and a small hematoma in her right armpit area. We have no idea what could’ve happened to her but it looks like she was stabbed. She isn’t having any difficulty breathing, the puncture wound is only oozing blood when it is moved, like during the assessment and when she walks and it seems like most of her pain is where the hematoma is.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. The Expert will know what to do about this bleeding. I'll connect you ASAP. Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the dog?

I don’t think so

3/25/2018
Scott Perry
Scott Perry, Dog Veterinarian

Hello. My name is***** and I am a veterinarian that can answer your question. I understand your dog has a skin puncture on the chest and hematoma under the arm pit. She is not bleeding when she is not moving, but blood is only observed when she moves like walking. Is that a correct summary of the situation?

Pretty much. I’m a paramedic so I can handle people pretty well, but am lost when it comes to the dogs. She had been sleeping a lot this afternoon, but doesn’t feel warmer than normal. We are just worried because we don’t know what happened. And there is only one puncture mark, not 2 or more like a bite..

Is the puncture wound the size of a bite (i.e. 1-2 cm in diameter)? Part of the assessment is to make sure the gum color is a normal pink and not pale, and that the respiratory rate is between 20-40 breaths per minute. Are you able to give me those details?

Temperature and heart rate would also be helpful, but I think we can get a good start position with this information.

Thank you for those pictures. If this wound is not actively bleeding then it does not constitute an emergency. The best approach is to clean it with an antiseptic solution like chlorhexidine or betadine solution. Ideally, a culture sample is taken before cleaning it, but that would require a veterinarian visit first. If this was caused by a bite then antibiotics would be necessary. The size of the puncture does not require it to be closed. In fact, these are typically left open for 48 hours until we see the extent of the damage to the skin. Ideally, the hair is clipped away from the wound, but that is not necessary right away. Continue monitoring for bleeding, but if it is not actively bleeding while she is laying down then it is probably not hemorrhaging. I suspect the blood you are seeing is a serosanguinous fluid that is seeping into the wound as a response to the inflammation. Seeing your veterinarian tomorrow would be recommended.

Does that help to answer your question?

the very first thing I did was clean it for sure, I also have liquid bandaid for dogs if you think that’s a good idea. And we mainly tried this app to get a professionals opinion on if she should be ok until Monday..
no it’s not actively bleeding, more like seeping when she moves that looks like watered down blood, a light light reddish color.

I do not get the sense it is hemorrhaging, so I think it is OK to wait until Monday. You can apply a cold compress to reduce swelling. Liquid band-aid is safe to use, but you want to allow it to keep draining right now and it does not sound like it is the frank red blood that we associate with bleeding. So I would not advise to apply it at this time, Keep it clean and monitor for bleeding is all you need to do right now. The light color redness should stop within the next 24-48 hours.

You will also want to prevent her from licking at it, so a cone may be helpful if she seems to want to do that.

Thank you for the peace of mind. Luckily she can’t get to the site to pick it as it’s almost right between her front legs. We appreciate you!

You are most welcome. Please let me know if you have any other questions. I am here to help. If you have no other questions, I would appreciate a positive review when you get time. Leaving a review does not close out your question and you can come back to any time to ask additional questions. You can leave a five star review at the top of the screen. Thank you.

Scott Perry
Scott Perry, Dog Veterinarian

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Scott Perry