Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My Pomeranian dog who is elderly jumped off the couch &

My Pomeranian dog who...

My Pomeranian dog who is elderly jumped off the couch & bumped his head on the edge of our coffee table. Didn't seem to be hurt or did not show any signs of being hurt but 3 days later he exhibits signs of blindness. Should have taken him to the vet a whil

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What is the dog's name?

Chase

Veterinarian's Assistant: Strange behavior is often perplexing. I'm sure the Veterinarian can help you. Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Chase?

He's elderly but that's all I can think of. He's calm & loves everyone but he has been eating more & drinking water by the gallon it seems. Of course he is now going to the bathroom inside like never before.

3/25/2018
Veterinarian101
Veterinarian101, Dog Veterinarian

Hello, I'm Dr. Luke and I would be happy to help you with your question. I am so sorry about your pet. I have over 19 years of experience as a veterinarian and I'd like to help. Are you available to discuss this situation online at this time? (if you get a phone call prompt from the system, please disregard as I am unable to do a phone call at this time).
***************

How long has he been drinking more?

Is he eating ok?

If you look in his eyes do they look different at all?

Maybe 2 weeks up to what could be a month. He is eating well but still seems to be losing weight. Yes his eyes are becoming clouded I guess you would call it. However, he seems to still have some vision but it is limited.

Ok. It sounds like he may have some cataracts in his eyes. These can suddenly go worse (after being gradual for a while) and this can make it seem like they are blind - I don't bellieve that this is related to hitting our head as it would have occured straight away.

Cataracts with and increaase in drinking and urinating and weight loss does sound like there is a possiblity that he has something like diabetes.

As he is still pretty well and eating ok you need to take him to your vet when they next open.

Diabetes is can be fairly easily treated but he would need to be examined and diagnosied by your vet.

**************************
Your satisfaction is my goal and I welcome any follow-up questions that you may have. Your 5-star rating at the conclusion of this correspondence is most appreciated and bonuses are always welcome. Regards, ***** *****

Veterinarian101
Veterinarian101, Dog Veterinarian