Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My 4 YO GSD is with me at my daughters house and seems to…

My 4 YO GSD...

My 4 YO GSD is with me at my daughters house and seems to get along with their dog. We have been here about two weeks. She has started pooping in the house even right after she was let out and then left alone downstairs.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What is the dog's name?

Miss Em

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the dog?

She is my service dog. Also she appears to want to be alone before she will go potty. She refuses to go on lead and will hold both urine and poop for more than 24 hours until we either get home or she can’t hold it any longer. This is not the case here though.

3/25/2018
Veterinarian101
Veterinarian101, Dog Veterinarian

Hello, I'm Dr. Luke and I would be happy to help you with your question. I am so sorry about your pet. I have over 19 years of experience as a veterinarian and I'd like to help. Are you available to discuss this situation online at this time? (if you get a phone call prompt from the system, please disregard as I am unable to do a phone call at this time).
***************

Does the pooping inside only occur when Miss Em is separated from you?

I am upstairs and she goes downstairs to poop in the living room. It’s obviously her mess because the other dog is smaller.

Is she allowed upstairs or is this restricted at this time?

Is she well otherwise?

she is allowed to be with me where ever I am. She is healthy.
She is not scolded after the fact.

So to clarify, you are upstairs with her and then she will voluntarily walk downstairs and poop? While you remain upstairs

She has plenty of opportunity to go outside. Tonight she had just indicated she didn’t want/need to go out and then went downstairs to poop.

mmm that is odd.

Does she ever poop outside at the 'new' house?

Does she have access to outside all the time? or do you have to let her out?

I have to let her out. At home she has a bell at the door she rings to go outside. She has pooped outside here more often than she has pooped indoors.

Any urine inside or just poop?

Just poop

Ok.

Is always in the same spot? WHere is that location?

Could this be a dominance display? Her spot is about 2 feet from the other dog’s bed.
Both dogs are 4 YO spayed females. The other breed is Paso Canario.

No - pooping in the 'wrong' spot is never dominance.

Is the bed near the exit door to outside?

How does the other dog tell you they need to poop?

The other dog has to be tied outside or it will run. Em will stay around the house. Her bed is far away from either door.
The Paso’s bed, that is.

OK.

And you just moved into this new place 2 weeks ago?

Any pooping inside at the other house?

At our house she doesn’t go indoors unless she has diarrhea.
We leave Monday to drive back home but I want to be welcomed back.
I can’t associate messing with anything that happens that day. She’s gone indoors on days we stay home and days we are shopping, etc. It’s always at night.
I am careful to make it clear I pet and praise her much more than the Paso.

I'll bet!

I think the problem is that she just doesn't correlate between your house and not going inside and the 'new' house.

In other words she forgets her toilet training when she moves to the new environment. The best suggestion maybe to put up a bell like at your house so she gets the link. I know she doesn't wee inside but often poop training can take a little longer and be easier to 'forget'.

There is also the possibility of some anxiety associated with a move to a new environment, the other dog's presence and the lack of familiarity with the 'new' house. This can mean some dogs are more prone to need to 'poop' suddenly and there is not time to alert you as we are downstarirs and you are upsatirs.

Also at nighttime, serotonin levels do decrease and anxety levels can increase and this combined with a lack of 'formal' toilet training in the new house.

Ok. Suggestions for how to move forward?

I would recommend taking it back to basics of toilet training like we are a pup. Everytime you go outside and we do a wee or poop we get a very tasty food reward AT THAT TIME. This includes during the day when everything is normal. We are trying to teach her that doing that outside gets great rewards.

Put up a bell that they can ring.

Also confining them to a smaller room at night may help too as they are less likely to poop in a smaller area.

Thanks!

My pleasure.

**************************
Your satisfaction is my goal and I welcome any follow-up questions that you may have. Your 5-star rating at the conclusion of this correspondence is most appreciated and bonuses are always welcome. Regards, ***** *****

Veterinarian101
Veterinarian101, Dog Veterinarian