Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My 90 lb English lab just accidentally ate a 500mg naproxen…

Customer Question
My 90 lb English...

My 90 lb English lab just accidentally ate a 500mg naproxen pill

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. The Expert will know if the dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name and age?

Morgan

Veterinarian's Assistant: How old is Morgan?

I just have her two doses of 45mg of hydrogen peroxide to see if she will vomit it back up

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Morgan?

10 yrs old

Submitted: 30 days ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
3/25/2018
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Peter, Veterinarian replied 30 days ago
Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian

Hi, I'm Dr. Peter. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now and will post back with your reply ASAP.

1- How long has it been since she ate the Naproxen?

2- Did she vomit with the peroxide?

Customer reply replied 30 days ago
About 20 mins ago
Customer reply replied 30 days ago
She did not vomit after the first 45 -50 mg of peroxide so waited ten minutes and just gave her another 45mg of it about 5 mins ago
Customer reply replied 30 days ago
She has a stomach of steel

You mean 45 mls, correct?

Customer reply replied 30 days ago
Sorry yes, meant ml

So to make sure I got this right she has had a total of 140 mls of Peroxide, correct?

Customer reply replied 30 days ago
No at this point she has only had 95 mls of hydrogen peroxide

Please give me 5-10 minutes to type your answer. No need to accept the phone call request. Thank you.

Friend, the total dose of peroxide given orally should be 50mls, when you go above 50mls the dog may develop hemorrhagic gastroenteritis. The dose of Naproxen that she took can cause ulceration of the gastrointestinal tract and renal failure. Do not give anymore peroxide or things will be worse for her. Unfortunately, not much more you can do at home for her, I am sorry. I would recommend taking her to the nearest ER veterinarian and they can make her vomit with a medication called apomorphine. In addition, start her on a supportive care.

I realize that this answer may not be entire to your liking, and I regret being the bearer of information that you really don’t want to hear. But it would be unfair to you and unprofessional of me were I to provide you with anything less than truthful and honest information. I hope you understand.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service. If you have any follow-up questions don't hesitate to ask. If finished, please take a moment to rate my service it is how I get compensated. See you again soon!

Dr. Peter

Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Peter, Veterinarian replied 27 days ago

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian