Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Does this site cost me money to ask a question? He has

Does this site cost...

Does this site cost me money to ask a question?

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What is wrong with the dog?

He has diarrhea

Veterinarian's Assistant: Where does the dog seem to hurt?

No fever

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is the dog's name and age?

Elmo and he is 18 years old

Veterinarian's Assistant: How old is Elmo?

18 and a dachshunds

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Elmo?

He takes enalapril maleate for the last two years

Answered in 1 hour by:
3/25/2018
Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian

Hi, I'm Dr. Peter. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now and will post back with your reply ASAP.

I am sorry for the delay in response, it appears no experts were available. I just need to ask you a few questions first.

1- Any blood in the stool?

2- How long has he had diarrhea?

3- How much does he weigh?

Customer reply replied 27 days ago
Ok thank you!
I am sorry for the delay in response, it appears no experts were available. I just need to ask you a few questions first. 1- Any blood in the stool? 2- How long has he had diarrhea? 3- How much does he weigh?
Customer reply replied 27 days ago
No blood in stool
three days
13.5lbs
Customer reply replied 27 days ago
He ate this morning and did not want to eat tonight.
Customer reply replied 27 days ago
He is drinking water

Please give me 5 minutes to type your answer. No need to accept the phone call request. Thank you.

Friend, diarrhea can be caused by many different medical conditions. I will not be able to pinpoint the exact underlying cause without a hands-on examination and some testing, I am sorry. But, common causes are dietary indiscretion, ingestion of a foreign body, infections, or even part of a systemic disease to name a few causes. This is what you can do:

1- Pepto Bismol 1/2 (half) teaspoon every 6-8 hours for 1-2 days.

2- Change his diet to rice (75%) and boiled boneless chicken or ground beef (25%) until the stool is back to normal then wean him back into his regular diet.

3- Supplement with a probiotic, these are friendly bacterias that help with regularity. You can buy this over the counter in any pet store.

4- If after doing the above you do not see improvement within 24 hours I would have him checked by your family veterinarian for a hands on examination.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service - I hope I've provided the information you were seeking, if you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up questions. Kindly rate me when you are done.

Dr. Peter

Customer reply replied 27 days ago
Thank you very much

You're welcome. :)

Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Customer reply replied 25 days ago
Dr Peter , thank you very much. Elmo is doing great. His diarrhea has stopped and is bouncing around the house like a bunny rabbit. At 18 years old he is being is old self. You have saved us Dr Peter. No more messes in the kitchen and not up every hour to take him out at night . We are all sleeping better at night. You are the greatest!!!

Hello, again! :) I am really happy to learn Elmo is doing better and you are sleeping! :)

I am glad I was here to help. :) Thank you for the update!

Dr. Peter

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian