Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

She ate Sani sticks. i cant find any info online other than…

Customer Question
She ate Sani sticks...

She ate Sani sticks. i cant find any info online other than the msds.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. The Expert will know if the dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name and age?

Riley, 10 55lbs

Veterinarian's Assistant: How old is Riley?

10yrs

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
3/25/2018
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Kara, Veterinarian replied 1 month ago
Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Veterinarian

Hello, I'm Dr. Kara. I have over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian and I'd like to help. Please give me a moment to review your concerns.

I am sorry to hear that Riley ingested Sani Sticks.

1. How many did he eat?
  2. How long ago did this occur?
  3. Has he eaten or drank anything since?
  4. How is he behaving now? Any drooling or vomiting?
  5. Does he tend to have a sensitive stomach in general?
  6. Any long term health concerns?
  7. Is he currently taking any medications?

This product is a combination of salts, binding agents, digestive enzymes and surfactants/soaps which break down organic matter.

None of these ingredients are truly toxic per se, in that they won't cause nerve damage or organ damage unless eaten in incredibly large amounts (much more than in these sticks), but they can all cause gastrointestinal irritation which can leadi to nausea, vomiting lack of an appetite and diarrhea.

I don't recommend inducing vomiting when dogs eat these types of products unless they eat a huge amount. The irritation from getting him to vomit and the stomach acid and soap products/enzymes in the vomit may do more harm to his esophagus then just letting the product stay in his gastrointestinal tract.

The good news is that he is a big dog. If he seems himself at this point you just need to watch Riley for any symptoms.
If he starts to drool or vomit, or refuses to eat or drink, we can do some things at home to ease his stomach and gastrointestinal irritation.
To try and settle his stomach you can try either:
1) Pepcid-ac (famotidine) at a dose of one 10mg tablet per 20 to 40 pounds of body weight every 12 hours. (two 10mg tabs every 12 hours)
OR
2) Prilosec (omeprazole) at a dose of one 20mg tablet per 40 to 80 pounds of body weight every 24 hours.
These will reduce stomach acid and should help settle his stomach. These can be used for several days as necessary as they are quite safe. If he seems nauseous at all I would use one of these for a couple weeks to help the esophagus and stomach lining heal.
Then feed a homemade diet of 1/3 boiled hamburger or white, skinless chicken, all fats and juices drained and 2/3 white rice. Add 2 to 4 tablespoons of canned pumpkin, (not pie filling, just pumpkin), to each meal for fiber if he has any mucousy diarrhea. Feed small meals several times a day.
Once he's feeling better then start mixing in his regular food, adding a little more regular and less bland at each meal. It should take a week to get him converted back to regular food.
If he is continuing to vomit, even after the acid reducing medication is given, refuses to eat or has explosive diarrhea it is best he see a veterinarian for an examination, injectable medications and oral medication like sucralfate to coat his gastrointestinal system.
But if he shows no symptoms there is no need for you to do anything.

It has been my pleasure to help you today, and I hope that I have earned my 5 star rating. Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen (rating me now does not close your question). You are welcome to ask follow up questions about my response here until you are satisfied, simply use the reply box and let me know. Thank you!

Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Kara, Veterinarian replied 29 days ago

Hello, I wanted to make sure that you didn't have any further questions for me, and I'd like to know how things turned out for your pup. If you could give me an update that would be great, thank you, ***** *****

Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Kara, Veterinarian replied 26 days ago

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Veterinarian