Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

I have a 10 week old puppy who has had 3 seizures. She goes…

I have a 10 week...
I have a 10 week old puppy who has had 3 seizures. She goes stiff and whines. The vet said epilepsy without running any bloodwork and there is no epilepsy in the sire or dam's history. Should I take her to another vet for a second opinion?
Answered in 1 minute by:
3/25/2018
Dr B
Dr B, Veterinarian

Hi this is Dr B. Thank you for your question! I am a DVM with 28 years experience. Please allow me a moment to review your question.

This probably is epilepsy but they should have definitely done bloodwork....

Did you go to your regular vet or ER vet?

She (my friend) took her to an emergency vet who just kept her overnight night and then her regular vet saw her and diagnosed epilepsy with no testing. Isn't that young for a dog to show symptoms and unusual since there are no epileptic dogs in her family?

epilepsy does not have to be in sire or dam's history for your dog to have epilepsy....

Okay. And that's not too young either. I've never had a dog with epilepsy so it's all new.

Bloodwork needs to be done for sure......the only other test that could be done would be an MRI and they could also test for a liver shunt.......if all that testing is negative then definitely epilepsy....did you want to see a specialist?

I can help you find a specialist...that would be best since she is so young...

What bloodwork would reveal epilepsy?
I will take her to my regular vet for the bloodwork. She hasn't been seen by him yet. She took her to her vet.

None.....epilepsy is diagnosis of exclusion of other causes....

Okay. Thank you for your time!

Can I help you with anything else?

No thank you

ok, best of luck to you.....dRB

I would very much appreciate it if you would rate me 5 stars for my very prompt and attentive service. And do let me know if you need any additional help! You can rate me in the top right corner of the page. Thank you very much! DRB

Please remember my answers do not replace or supersede the advice of your veterinarian as my answers do not create a valid client patient relationship as I am unable to examine your pet. DrB

Dr B
Dr B, Veterinarian

you let me know if you need additional help! DRB

Hi Kp,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Fay. How is everything going?

Dr B