Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My dog or dogs ate a packof jobes organic single conyainer…

My dog or dogs...

My dog or dogs ate a packof jobes organic single conyainer plant food! So worried!

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. The Expert will know if your dog will be able to digest that. Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about your dog?

55lbs and 75lbs

3/25/2018
Dr. Gabby
Dr. Gabby, Dog Veterinarian

Hello. My name is***** am happy to help you with your question. Give me just a moment to respond and type.

So the good news is plant food is not toxic. It can cause some gastrointestinal upset but that is about it. Is anyone having vomiting or diarrhea?

Customer reply replied 29 days ago
No just happened about 15 minutes ago
Customer reply replied 29 days ago
Thanks

O​kay, so you could check their breath to see if anyone has plant food breath. That could give you a indication of who the culprit is. Otherwise, just keep an eye on them. If they vomit, pick up the food and water dish. Once the vomiting has subsided, gradually introduce water. No food for 12 hours to let the gastrointestinal tract rest. Then a bland diet of plan cooked chicken and rice.

T​o help settle the stomach, one 10mg tablet of Pepcid AC or 75mg tablet of Zantac every 12 hours. Those are over the counter human stomach acid reducers that can be used for nausea.

F​or diarrhea, 1/3 tablet, or 1 teaspoon, of Pepto bismol per each 10 pounds of dog every 8 hours as needed.

S​igns they need to see a vet are: blood in the vomit or stool, unable to keep water down for 12 hours, abdominal pain, watery diarrhea, severe lethargy, abdominal bloating, vomiting more than 6 times in 12 hours.

Dr. Gabby
Dr. Gabby, Dog Veterinarian

I ​hope that helps? Do you have any other questions I may assist you with?

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Dr. Gabby
Dr. Gabby
Dr. Gabby
Dr. Gabby, Dog Veterinarian