Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My dog is peeing all the time, and her eyes look funny. She…

Customer Question
My dog is peeing...

My dog is peeing all the time, and her eyes look funny

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What is the matter with your dog?

She is peeing every y

Veterinarian's Assistant: Where does your dog seem to hurt?

Ten minutes

Veterinarian's Assistant: Can you see anything that looks wrong or different?

Her eyes look like the pink part is inflamed and cloudy

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is your dog's name and age?

Cersei is 4 years old

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about your dog?

We live in AZ

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
3/25/2018
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Peter, Veterinarian replied 1 month ago
Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian

Hi, I'm Dr. Peter. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now and will post back with your reply ASAP.

1- Is she urinating a normal amount, more or less?

2- How long has this been going on?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Trying to urinate but no pee comes out, less than 3 hours
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Her third eyelid looks enlarged as well and eyes cloudy. Still wants food tho

1- How long has she had problems with her eyes?

2- To make sure I got this right, she is trying to urinate every 10 minutes but only a small amount is coming out, correct?

3- Any pre existing medical conditions?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
No pre existing, no pee really comes out

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Same amount of time as far as known

Any other symptoms?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Seems more sedate than usual, she occasionally goes for walks. But I keep her away from dog parks

Please give me 5-10 minutes to type your answer. No need to accept the phone call request. Thank you.

Friend, the history and symptoms you are describing are consistent with a urinary tract infection. You see, the increase in frequency to urinate is because she has an infection that is causing irritation (inflammation) of the urethra (tube connecting bladder to the vagina). When the urethra is inflamed it gives the feeling of having to urinate, this is why she is going more frequent; the increase in frequency does not allow the bladder to accumulate enough urine and only produces a small amount of urine every attempt or it gives the impression that no urine is coming out. Other possible causes could be bladder stones.

As far as the eyes, if her 3rd eyelid is protruding and you are seeing redness of the conjunctiva this is likely a separate problem; she could have an infection. Or, sometimes when a dog is having a problem the 3rd eyelid prolapses in response to the other problem. In other words, the problem is not within the eye but somewhere else.

In this case, Cersei will need to be seen by a veterinarian to rule in a urinary tract infection and start her on medication. In addition, a complete examination of the eyes. In the meantime, make sure she drinks plenty of water; you can offer her low sodium chicken broth to get her to drink more. The flushing action of water helps with inflammation and infection.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service - I hope I've provided the information you were seeking, if you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up questions. Kindly rate me when you are done.

Dr. Peter

Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Peter, Veterinarian replied 29 days ago
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Dr. Peter
Customer reply replied 28 days ago
Cersei stopped peeing so much and her eyes normalized. I will still take her to a vet this week just as a safety measure.
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Peter, Veterinarian replied 28 days ago

Great!

Dr. Peter

Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian