Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

I'm babysitting a toy poodle for a friend for the week. She…

I'm babysitting a toy...

I'm babysitting a toy poodle for a friend for the week. She just ate a small amount of dark chocolate I STUPIDLY left on the couch arm.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. The Expert will know if the poodle will be able to digest that. What is the poodle's name and age?

She's very small, maybe 7 pounds. Athena, maybe 9 months.

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is the poodle's name?

Athena

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Athena?

She ate dinner recently A bit of dry and a bit of wet Also eats everything she can get her mouth on...

3/25/2018
Dr. Gabby
Dr. Gabby, Dog Veterinarian

Hello. My name is***** am happy to help you with your question. Give me just a moment to respond and type.

Customer reply replied 29 days ago
thank you!

I​n order for me to calculate if she consumed a toxic dose of chocolate, I would need to know her weight and the amount she consumed. The other option would be to induce vomiting but we would still need to know how much she weighed in order to induce vomiting.

Customer reply replied 29 days ago
I'm going to estimate she weighs 7 lbs and she ate probably less than 1 ounce of dark chocolate.
Customer reply replied 29 days ago
Probably .5 ounce
Customer reply replied 29 days ago
are you there?
Customer reply replied 29 days ago
Not sure if my previous message came through. She weighs maybe 7 lbs.

O​kay, you need to induce vomiting. Do you have milk, bread, and a fresh bottle of hydrogen peroxide?

D​ark chocolate is very toxic to dogs

Customer reply replied 29 days ago
No, I can go out and buy peroxide. What do I need to do?

I​f you do not have all of those supplies, then I would take her up to the emergency clinic and have them induce vomiting. In addition, at home vomiting induction is only 70% effective so there is a 30% chance she may not vomit.

Give her 1/4 of a piece of bread soaked in milk.

Customer reply replied 29 days ago
what happens if she doesn't vomit? She ate a VERY small amount of chocolate. I just found a half full bottle of peroxide

B​uy 3 % hydrogen peroxide and a syringe or eye dropper. It has to be a fresh bottle that is not expired.

Give me a moment to type please. Just a sec

Customer reply replied 29 days ago
She ate the bread and milk!!! Yay! Is that to soak up the toxins or induce vomiting?

Give her 1/4 of a piece of bread soaked in milk. Then give her 1 teaspoon of the peroxide. Use a syringe or eye dropper. Some dogs will drink it in milk. Run her around for 5 minutes. If she does not vomit, give her another dose of peroxide. If she still does not vomit in 5 minutes then give her a third and final dose of peroxide. If she still does not vomit then you will need to watch for signs of chocolate toxicity which include: vomiting, diarrhea, agitating, shaking, tremors, seizures, rapid heart rate, unable to sit still. If you notice those signs then she must go to the ER clinic for further treatment

The signs of toxicity can show up anywhere from 2-12 hours after ingestion. Does that make sense? Do you have any other questions I may assist you with?

Customer reply replied 29 days ago
No, thank you. I'm hoping she'll be fine. Less than an ounce isn't likely to kill her, is it?
Customer reply replied 29 days ago
Sorry, last question--is the milk and bread to soak up the toxins or does it make her vomit on its own?

It could, yes. You estimated her weight and estimated the amount of chocolate and she may or may not be sensitive to the chocolate. The milk and bread are to help the peroxide make her vomit. They do not help soak up toxins nor make her vomit.

Customer reply replied 29 days ago
Thank you for your help.

You are very welcome. Let me know how it goes.

Dr. Gabby
Dr. Gabby, Dog Veterinarian

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Gabby
Dr. Gabby
Dr. Gabby
Dr. Gabby, Dog Veterinarian