Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My dog ate a dead bird, is he going to be okay? Rider 7.5…

My dog ate a...

My dog ate a dead bird, is he going to be okay?

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. The Expert will know if your dog will be able to digest that. What is your dog's name and age?

Rider 7.5 years

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Rider?

No, we were walking and he saw a dead bird or something and ate it

3/25/2018
Dr. Dan
Dr. Dan, Dog Veterinarian

Hello!

Thank you for your question, I'm Dr. Dan. Currently, I'm reviewing your question and will be back to you in a few minutes.

Yes in most cases he'll be just fine. Unless there are many dead birds all over then the likelihood the bird was poisoned is very low and that would be the biggest risk. If the bird was decomposing then it is likely that your dog will have a day or two of mild vomiting and diarrhea but that should be the end of it. There is always the possibility of something worse because we can never predict every scenario but thousands of dogs eat dead things daily and do fine so the odds are very good that he'll be just fine with minimal to no problems. I hope this helps, if not please feel free to ask more questions, if it did help, please leave a rating. Dr. Dan

Dr. Dan
Dr. Dan, Dog Veterinarian
Ok, I don’t think it was decomposing yet.
Thank you.