Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My dog just got in a fight with a raccoon. He's 15lbs and…

Hi, my dog just...

Hi, my dog just got in a fight with a raccoon. He's 15lbs and has what appear to be two puncture wounds on his leg

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Is your dog bleeding a lot?

I don't think so. Right now we are giving him a bath and trying to clean the wound

Veterinarian's Assistant: Phew. What is your dog's name and age?

Petey, he's about 5 yrs

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Petey?

I think his shots are up to date, the wound is bleeding a little but the wound appears superficial

3/25/2018
Dr. Dan
Dr. Dan, Dog Veterinarian

Hello!

Thank you for your question, I'm Dr. Dan. Currently, I'm reviewing your question and will be back to you in a few minutes.

Are you able to post pictures of the wounds? If not I can still help, but pictures would help alot.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
ok just took pictures

Great, I'll wait for you to post them!

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Trying to figure out how to upload them

You should be able to use the paperclip in the chat bar, no hurry at all, unless your dog is bleeding severely.

Got it, thanks, I'll type out my answer and be back with you in a few minutes.

From this perspective, these wounds are very superficial like you said. These should not be an emergency unless he suddenly starts acting lethargic, not eating or the area swells rapidly. What you need to do is to wash this area with normal soap and lots of water. When you are done cover the wounds with hydrogen peroxide once and only once. After one application hydrogen peroxide slows healing instead of helping. Because these look so superficial you don't need to do anything else besides keeping the area clean 1-2x daily with soap and water. They don't appear to be needing other medication or bandaging at this moment. It is still worth having the vet take a look on Monday but likely cleaning is all you'll need right now. I hope this helps, if not please feel free to ask more questions, if it did help, please leave a rating. Dr. Dan

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thank you sooo much!!! You have a fantastic night! :)

You are welcome! Good luck.

Dr. Dan
Dr. Dan, Dog Veterinarian

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Dan
Dr. Dan
Dr. Dan
Dr. Dan, Dog Veterinarian