Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My 10 month pitbull ate a bag of trail mix that contained…

Customer Question
My 10 month pitbull...

My 10 month pitbull ate a bag of trail mix that contained peanuts, raisins, chocolate, m&m’s. How do I know if she is poisoned?

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Did you see what the Pitbull ate?

She ate everything that was in the bag.

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the Pitbull?

She ate everything that was in the bag.

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
She just got spayed last week as well.
3/25/2018
Dog Veterinarian: Dr G, Dog Veterinarian replied 3 months ago
Dr G
Dr G, Dog Veterinarian
Hi I’m Dr G and I can help you with your pup. Hang on while I type a response.
Your dog needs to go to the hospital immediately. She needs them to make her vomit up what she ate.
The raisins can be very toxic. In many dogs, they cause Renal failure and dogs die from eating them. They don’t know which dogs or why and it is not dose dependent...ie even a very few raisins can be toxic.
Also, the chocolate is toxic as well. The toxicity depends on milk vs semimsweet or dark chocolate and how much they ate. Sometimes they haven’t eaten enough chocolate to be toxic. But, either way, because of the raisins she needs to vomit asap.
Can I induce the vomit myself?
Her veterinarian is not available at this time.
That is not recommended. I can give you a dose of peroxide, but it doesn’t always work, can damage the stomach lining or be irritating.
Also, she should have her kidney values checked and monitored as she may not vomit all the raisins and could still have problems.
Do you have an ER vet near you? If you call your vet, they are required to have an ER plan...either they are on call, or they tell you where to go to get help.
Please let me know what you plan to do as time is really important. If you absolutely cannot go to an ER and send me your dog’s weight I can help you with the peroxide dose. It’s not as good and can be problematic, but still better than leaving the chocolate and raisins in her tummy.
She ways approximately 50lbs.
You would give her 25 ml. This needs to be an exact dose using a large syringe. Do you have that?
Or it is a measuring spoon...1 tbsp plus 2 teaspoons. No more than this.
Can you get this into her?
Ok, try it and let me know how it goes.
Sorry, just a test message. Ignore this one.
She vomited the raisins
Did she vomit until she was empty...ie not bringing anything else up?
Did she vomit multiple times?
Dog Veterinarian: Dr G, Dog Veterinarian replied 2 months ago
How is your pup doing today? I would recommend you see your vet Monday and have kidney values checked to be safe.
If I have fully answered your questions, if you could please rate me, I would appreciate it.
Thanks!