Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My dog is in season and seems to be bleeding a lot, off her…

Hi my dog is...

Hi my dog is in season and seems to be bleeding a lot, off her food and have bad diarrhoea. I also just picked her up a large stream of blood poured out of her... do you have any idea what this could be? I am very worried

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. The Expert will know what to do about this bleeding. I'll connect you ASAP. Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about your dog?

No there is nothing else, I have mentioned everything

3/24/2018
Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian

Thank you for using Just Answer. My name is Rebecca; I am a veterinarian. Please give me a moment to type my answer.

I am sorry to hear you are concerned about your dog. This does not sound like a normal heat season. How old is she?

Since she is young, an infection of the uterus is unlikely but still a possibility. It could be a urinary tract infection as well.

Is she eating normally?

Customer reply replied 28 days ago
No she isn’t really eating at all

If she were mine, I would look at a sample of the bloody discharge under a microscope to see if this is an infection.

If she is not eating, I am worried about her.

Can you take her temperature? Normal rectal temp is 101.5 F

It sounds like she may be in need of medical attention.

Customer reply replied 28 days ago
Ok one second I shall try to take it now

Let me know what it is.

Customer reply replied 28 days ago
It was 101.8 F

Good, that is normal.

Still, this is an abnormal amount of blood from being in heat. Not eating is also a sign she is ill or in pain.

Customer reply replied 28 days ago
Ok do you recommend I take her to the veterinarian now?

Either there is some hormonal abnormality causing the excessive bleeding, or she has a problem with normal blood clotting, or she has an infection.

If you look at her gums, are they pink, not pale? Are there any blotches or bruises on the gums?

It would be best to have a veterinarian look at her as soon as possible.

Let me know how she is doing.

Customer reply replied 28 days ago
Her gums look pink and healthy

That is very good news.

Customer reply replied 28 days ago
Also I didn’t mention before, the discharge/blood smells really bad

Please let me know how she is doing and if you have other questions.

If it smells bad, it may be an infection. Dogs can get a "pyometra", a uterine infection. It is not common in a dog as young as she is, but is a possibility.

Customer reply replied 28 days ago
Thank you I think I am going to take her now

You are welcome.

Kindly consider rating my answer to notify the website I am assisting you; you can always get back to me with questions and updates after rating.​

Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian

Thanks for the good rating.

Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian