Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Can I give my dog Carprofen if he is taking phenobarbatol.

Customer Question
Can I give my...

Can I give my dog Carprofen if he is taking phenobarbatol

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What is your dog's name and age?

Hemi he is six he is a rotweiller weighing about 120lbs

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is the dog's name?

Hemi

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Hemi?

He is experience pain in his leg

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
3/24/2018
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Altman, Veterinarian replied 4 months ago
Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian

Welcome to Justanswer! I am Dr. Altman and happy to assist you today! Please give me a few moments to respond and I will be back momentarily!

thank you

Unfortunately it does list that rimadyl (carprofen) and phenobarbital should not be administered together with risk of causing liver injury

The veterinary formula lists: There may be an increased risk for hepatotoxicity secondary to carprofen metabolites. One source states that patients should not receive phenobarbital or other hepatic drug metabolizing enzyme inducers when receiving carprofen

If you have gabapentin this would be a good option, I typically do not use tramadol in dogs that have seizure disorders because in people it can increase risk of seizures and so we follow the same assumption in pets

You can also do massage from hip to toes and back up again as well as rotating warm and cool compresses to the leg in 10 minute intervals.

I wish I had a better answer for you but it looks like there are risks of combining the two medications

If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask. If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION with five stars at the top of your screen (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks!

I am glad to see you were able to view my responses

Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance to you both

Good afternoon, I wanted to check in on Hemi to see if you were able to get him comfortable last night? I would love an update when you are able

If the information I have provided was helpful I would be grateful if you would rate our chat with the five stars at the top of the screen so I am compensated for my time. Thank you and best of luck to you both, truly!

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Dr. Altman