Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

I have half blue tick hound puppy I adopted from the selter…

I have half blue...

I have half blue tick hound puppy I adopted from the selter and when we got her home we noticed she was pooping and it had dark blood in it we took her back and they did a fecal test on her and she came back clean for parvo and all types off worms. They said it might be from stress and just to watch her. Its been 2 weeks and she is still having problems she has very high energy and seems fine just bad dierria and still is blood for a short time after using the bathroom

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. There are all sorts of infestations the puppy can pick up. I'll have you talk to the Veterinarian who'll sort out what is wrong and help you decide what to do about it. What is the hound's name?

Sofie

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Sofie?

No ma'am

3/24/2018
Steven Hicks
Steven Hicks, Dog Veterinarian

Hello! Welcome to JustAnswer. Thank you for your question. I’m Dr. Hicks and I can help you today. I'll be back in a moment with my reply!

It sounds like Sofie has colitis. This can be caused by parasites, stress, diet changes, and dietary indiscretion. Since it has been going on for 2 weeks, she may have a secondary bacterial overgrowth and need to be placed on an antibiotic called Metronidazole. Parvo tests are very accurate, so the negative test is good news. However fecal tests for worms can come back often with false negative results, so this is something that should be checked again. In the meantime, there are a couple of things that you can do at home to help. Approximately how much does Sofie weigh?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
About 15 pounds

Ok. You can give her Imodium (the same kind people take) at a dose of one tablet twice a day. A generic version of Imodium is fine (the generic name is loperamide). You should only need to give this for 2-3 days. You can also add canned pumpkin to the regular food to add fiber and help firm up the stools - a couple of spoonfuls with each meal is enough. Try not to give too many treats and stick to a regular diet of dry dog food if possible. If the diarrhea doesn't improve within a few days, she may need an antiobiotic and another fecal check.

Steven Hicks
Steven Hicks, Dog Veterinarian

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Steven Hicks
Steven Hicks
Steven Hicks
Steven Hicks, Dog Veterinarian