Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

It seems like she is having trouble with her back legs. Well…

It seems like she...

It seems like she is having trouble with her back legs

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What seems to be the problem with the dog?

Well she is 14 yrs old her back legs have been shaky for a while but just recently she seems like her back legs dont have strength she walks but it seems difficult

Veterinarian's Assistant: Have you looked to see if there is a wound on their foot?

There is no wound

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is the dog's name?

Caroline

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Caroline?

When she jumps off the bed its like she lands hard and she cried before.She loves to spend most of her time on my bed

3/24/2018
Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian

Thank you for using Just Answer. My name is Rebecca; I am a veterinarian. Please give me a moment to type my answer.

I am sorry to hear you are concerned about Caroline. How long has she been like this?

Its been about a week

Having trouble with the back legs can be from arthritis, or can be from a problem in the spine such as an inflamed disc.

What can I do to help her
What can I give her

She might improve if she is started on anti inflammatory and pain medication. An exam by a veterinarian to find out if the problem is in the joints, or her bones, or her back would be the best place to start.

If she is eating, you could try aspirin; that is the only safe over the counter medication you could try. No Advil, no Aleve.

How much does she weigh?

no can you answer me

Do you not see my answer?

32 pounds

If she is eating, you can give her 2 baby aspirin, or 1/2 of a regular aspirin. Give with food. If she vomits, do not repeat it. Do not give Advil or Aleve or any other over the counter medication.

pekingese 14 yrs old female

There are better, safer, and more effective medications you can get from a veterinarian. Aspirin is the only safe thing to try at home.

You might start with just one baby aspirin to be sure it does not make her vomit.

Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian
okay thank you

You are welcome.

If this is a problem in her back, the aspirin may not help.

Please let me know how she is doing. Thanks for the good rating.