Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Our dog (greyhound) had been vomiting yellow bike and foam…

Our dog (greyhound) had been...
Our dog (greyhound) had been vomiting yellow bike and foam many times over night. This morning we brought him to our vet. They didn’t see anything abnormal in his blood work or x rays so gave him an anti-neasua shot and medicine for a GI tract infection. He’s been tired since and vomited bike once since then. We’ve recently discovered that he’s deficating blood. Not stool with blood. But what looks to be only blood with maybe some bile as well. Is that a side effect of his treatment or a GI infection or do we need to take him to the emergency vet? Thank you
Answered in 1 hour by:
3/25/2018
Dr G
Dr G, Dog Veterinarian
Hi I’m Dr G. Sorry your dog isn’t feeling well!
What medicine did they give him for his GI?
You are seeing straight blood and yellow bile coming from his rectum?
The anti vomiting shot hasn’t stopped the vomiting?
Customer reply replied 28 days ago
He was give a Maropitant citrate 10mg injection. We were sent home with maropitant 60mg tablets and metronidazole tablets. It seems like straight blood with clots in it and what looks like bile mixed in. The shot seems to have helped with the vomiting. There’s was one small vomit and occasional hacking.
The metronidazole will help the blood in the stool and will not cause it. The straight blood could be the diarrhea worsening, could be a Hemhorrhagic Gastroenteritis or even something more serious.
Is he looking more depressed? Can you see his gum color? Are they pink? Do his gums feel dry or sticky?
I’m trying to decide if we just need to let the meds Work and give it a little time, or does he need the ER for more tests, some fluids, etc.
Customer reply replied 28 days ago
He doesn’t seem any more depressed than he did this morning. His gums are pink and sticky.
If his gums are sticky, he might be dehydrated. Your description has me on the fence on needing E R care. The straight blood and possible dehydration, could mean the HGE and that can make dogs very sick. If he has stopped vomiting, will drink water and eat, you can give it overnight and keep an eye on him. If it continues, with the straight blood, he needs to go to the ER. If he gets more depressed, has more vomiting, seems painful he needs to go to ER tonight.
Customer reply replied 28 days ago
Thanks for all the help so far. Just want to clarify a bit. As of now he doesn’t want to eat, but will drink water. If nothing worsens but the straight blood continues should we take him tonight or see if it persists in the morning and take him then? If he hacks should we treat that as if it were vomit, or not worry about it unless something comes out?
If he is hacking and it is more like gagging or retching, even if nothing comes up, that is concerning. He could be aspirating when he does that.
If he doesn’t seem hungry, but drinks and is otherwise ok, will get up and walk around, have a little spirit to him etc you can watch him. If you can’t get him up, looks more pale, more grey in the gums, more sticky gums,next then take him in. If you are in doubt or are worried, trust your instinct and take him in. I can’t see him so I can only give advice by what is described.
Dr G
Dr G, Dog Veterinarian
Customer reply replied 28 days ago
Thank you for the help. We’ll keep an eye on him and hopefully some rest and medicine will help him feel better. Thanks again!
Dr G
Dr G
Dr G, Dog Veterinarian