Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My 7 year-old Husky started having seizures last May - total…

My 7 year-old Husky...

My 7 year-old Husky started having seizures last May - total of 5 since then months apart... seems to be related when she gets stressed like going in the car and in a new situation/place, however the last one 2 weeks ago she woke up in the night. Vet wants to put her on Phenobarb ,,,, I have been doing some research and wondering if it is diet related... also the food she has been on had rosemary extract along with a coat supplement oil of which I have stopped both

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Seizures always look scary. Let's get you talking to the Veterinarian. What is the Husky's name?

Sasha - husky/white shepherd mix - 7 years old

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Sasha?

We adopted her when she was 7 months old.... our other dog passed away 15 months ago who she was very attached too... also my daughters golden retriever was staying with us last summer while they were on vacation and she was very attached to him too - he collapsed and died right in front of her in our back yard suddenly - think probably had an undiagnosed heart condition

3/24/2018
Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian

Thank you for using Just Answer. My name is Rebecca; I am a veterinarian. Please give me a moment to type my answer.

I am sorry to hear Sasha has been having seizures. When seizures occur in older dogs, it is not epilepsy. It could be diet, hypothyroidism, liver disease, high blood pressure, heart disease, low blood sugar, and (sorry but it has to be on the list), a brain tumor or other neurologic disease.

Usually I start with a diet change, physical exam, check the blood pressure, and do some basic blood work. If all that is normal, the next step would be an MRI and a spinal tap, but that starts to get expensive and many dog owners do not want to go that far. That is the point where I see if anti seizure medication helps or not.

Usually I start with zonisamide or levaciracetam (Keppra) as an anti seizure medication.

Almost all dog foods have lots of ingredients including rosemary extract... would a raw diet be of benefit?

The only diet I saw that stopped seizures in one dog was a wheat free diet, or gluten free diet.

You could try the raw diet to see if that helps and avoid gluten.

Only a small percentage of dogs with seizures stop having seizures with a diet change; more often there is some underlying physical reason.

The weird thing about her seizures.... she had her first one when we walked into a no kill shelter (they asked us to bring her) to meet a new dog we were adopting and fell down and had a seizure. The I took her to the vet the next day to be evaluated and as soon as we walked in the front door of the office she had a seizure....every seizure has been stress related except the one two weeks age. She never had problems going to the Vet in the past up until last May

If it is stress related, it could be high blood pressure, or neurological, or a heart problem.

OK thanks... so I need to take her in to have her blood pressure checked then (I feel another seizure coming),,, The vet talked to me on the phone and called in a Rx for phenobarb... I have not started yet... I had a golden retriever for 16 years that had been on Phenobarb since age 2 and had a few liver issues
even with the Phenobarb being therapeutic, she still had seizures

You are welcome. I usually run tests before starting a dog on phenobarb. I usually do not use phenobarbital as the first drug for a dog with seizures; there are newer drugs that may be safer and more effective.

Please let me know how he is doing and if you have more questions.

Kindly consider rating my answer to notify the website I am assisting you; you can always get back to me with questions and updates after rating.​

Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian
Thank you.... thinking about going to see a holistic vet in the area. I am finished - thanks for the chat!

Thanks for the great rating!