Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

She hasn’t peed in 12 hrs. She hasn’t urinated in 12 hrs. I…

Customer Question
She hasn’t peed in...

She hasn’t peed in 12 hrs

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What seems to be the problem with the dog?

She hasn’t urinated in 12 hrs

Veterinarian's Assistant: Where does the dog seem to hurt?

I don’t see evidence of pain

Veterinarian's Assistant: OK. No obvious pain. What is the dog's name and age?

Lulu 16 months

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Lulu?

No she’s healthy spayed

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
Answered in 1 minute by:
3/24/2018
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Nicole, Dog Veterinarian replied 3 months ago
Dr. Nicole
Dr. Nicole, Dog Veterinarian
Hello I am Dr Nicole and I would be happy to help you with your question. I am so sorry about Lulu. I am working on a response and will be back shortly.
Ok thx
has anything changed in the the last 12-24 hours as far as her eating and drinking habits? Any vomiting or diarrhea? Does she seem to be trying to urinate and she can't or she isn't even interested? Any accidents in the house that you can find? Sorry for all the questions it will help me do better advise you what to do.
1) I’m not sure if she has been drinking a lot 2) no vomiting or diarrhea 3) no straining either just hasn’t gone and has pooped 2 times normal 4) no accidents we can find
One more thing yesterday morning she only pooped as well so she’s only peed 2 times in 24 hours
She is a camel
these are all really good things. So it's always important to focus on the positive things in a situation. It is really good that she does not seem to be in pain, she is not straining to urinate and does not seem to be having accidents in the house. What I would advise you to do would be to try to add some water to her food. If she predominantly eats drive-thru then try adding some water or low sodium chicken broth to the food try to encourage increase moisture intake. In my opinion if she is not showing you any signs of discomfort or distress there is no reason to take her in for an exam at this time. I would try to look around and see if you notice any accidents in the house just in case. Typing more...
Haha that was not supposed to say drive thru, that was supposed to say dry food! Sorry for the autocorrect.
If a dog has a urinary tract infection, urinary Stones, urinary crystals or pain associated with urination, you would absolutely notice a difference with her behavior and urinary habits. Also if she had any issues with her kidneys you would also notice a change in her demeanor.
That’s ok thank you I will try that. We also palpated her belly area and she was fine. When do we need an er visit?
I honestly would just focus on increasing water intake and increasing moisture and hydration by adding water to her food. Give it a few hours and I bet you will notice that she will urinate. If not please feel free to contact me as I am on the site intermittently throughout the weekend. Obviously monitor for any other changes in her behavior and contact me if needed.
She is a little quiet
But outside she’s rowdy
Honestly there is no reason for an ER visit unless she is straining to urinate and seems painful. That would be a reason to take her in immediately. Also monitor for any blood in the urine. This can sometimes indicate infection or Stones potentially. She would not be Rowdy and playing if she felt uncomfortable. Again I think the focus is trying to get some moisture into her diet at this time. And you can certainly add water to her food on a regular basis if you feel like she's not drinking enough.
I hope this helps. Please keep me posted and let me know if you have any additional questions. If you are satisfied with my assistance a 5-star rating as always appreciated. Even after the rating we can continue this conversation for a week so please keep me posted. Sincerely ***** *****
Thanks a lot
I fed her some broth and scrambled eggs which she ate but now she seems more lethargic and she just threw up
She seems unsteady
Is someone there?
I apologize I did not see your message last evening I was not online after 5 p.m. Wanted to check in and see how things were going with her today. If she is still exhibiting these signs you should definitely take her in for an exam to make sure that there's nothing more going on... Especially if she's showing additional symptoms like lethargy, vomiting and unsteadiness. Time to have her checked out. Please keep me posted on how she is doing.