Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

10-year old English Foxhound. Has a constant sore between…

Customer Question
10-year old English Foxhound...

10-year old English Foxhound. Has a constant sore between two of her toes on her hind leg. She loves to run into the woods when we're on walks so I think it has something to do with sticks and brush on the ground. I put Neosporin on it after she goes to sleep at night and next morning it appears to be much better, but then she starts licking it and it starts to look raw and slightly bloody. Are there any other things I can try so we don't have to take her to the vet?

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. This sounds like it might be serious. I'll let the Veterinarian know what's going on ASAP. Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the dog?

When we were seeing a vet regularly, she had the problem on several toes and the vet put her on antibiotic. Then we moved out of state and everything seemed to be fine. But in the last couple months it's come back but only between two toes.

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
3/24/2018
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian replied 1 month ago
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian

You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

I'm sorry to hear of this with your EF. Foreign body penetration into the paw and canine pedal furunculosis need to be the most important considerations. Unless a foreign body can be found and removed, a foreign body abscess will persist and so your vet is likely to want to surgically open the area between her toes and explore it for such a body. If nothing is found and, particulary, because there's a history of other interdigital spaces being affected in the past, furunculosis is likely.

The etiopathogenesis of the frustrating canine pedal furunculosis is unclear but one hypothesis is that sterile pedal furunculosis is a persistent, immune-mediated, inflammatory response to keratin and triglycerides liberated from ruptured hair follicles, sebaceous glands, and the panniculus (fatty layer of the skin). Here's a synopsis of this disorder for you:

1) The clinician should make sure that the initiating cause of the furunculosis (e.g., food allergy, wet environment, dirt kennels, friction in short-coated breeds) has been identified and corrected if possible.

2) If draining lesions are secondarily infected, appropriate antibiotics or antifungal medications should be administered for a minimum of 4-6 weeks.

3) For solitary lesions, surgical excision or laser ablation may be curative.

4) Cleansing wipes (alcohol-free acne pads, baby wipes, chlorhexidine-containing pledgets, or other antimicrobial wipes used every 12-72 hours work very well. For developing bullae, topical dimethy sulfoxide (DMSO) combined with the antibiotic enrofloxacin (to make a 10 mg/mL solution) and steroid (dexamethasone or fluocinolone) should be applied every 12-72 hours until lesions resolve. To prevent recurrence, the feet should be wiped or scrubbed in the direction of hair growth to remove any "ingrown" hairs.

5) Alternatively, treatment with combination tetracycline and niacinamide may be effective in some dogs. Please discuss this option with her vet. Anecdotal reports suggest that doxycycline can be administered every 12 hours until response occurs, then tapered to the lowest effective dose or doxycycline may be substituted for tetracycline.

6) Anecdotal reports suggest that treatment with cyclosporine may be effective in some dogs.

7) For severe, nonsurgical, or multiple lesions, treatment with glucocorticosteroids such as prednisone may be effective.

Finally, consider having her see a specialist veterinary dermatologist if you wish. Please see here: www.acvd.org. Such a specialist will know of the very latest approaches to this vexing disorder - approaches that haven't yet reached the veterinary literature.

Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian