Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My dog,has had been suffering with soft stools on and off…

My dog,has had been...

My dog,has had been suffering with soft stools on and off for over month. Took to vet and blood count is good. Am giving her science Hill for sensitive stomach and seemed to be tooting and soft stools. Tried to change diet again slowly with only couple of kibbles. She started to feel better Thursday and Friday threw up yellow foam and did not eat.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Hopefully it didn't make a mess. Did, eat anything unusual?

My cat had diarrhea she might have eaten that. Our Golden also threw up few house before my schnauzer.

Veterinarian's Assistant: How old is,?

She is 11

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about,?

Blood work was fine no parasites Or giardi Vet gave me antibiotic and I quit giving to her and she bounced back and acted like she felt better

After taking her off pills and fed her only one food she was feeling better but was concerned about quality of science hill food so bout nulo which is fish base and low in fat which is recommended for schnauzers. I was mixing food for 3 days the she started to decline. But not sure if from food or she got something from cat or golden
3/24/2018
Dr. Rachel
Dr. Rachel, Dog Veterinarian

Welcome to JustAnswer.com! My name is***** and I have been a licensed veterinarian for 10 years. I would be happy to answer your question. I'm sorry to hear your dog is having soft stools and vomiting. There are a few causes of these signs in older dogs, and many of them (such as diabetes, kidney disease, intestinal parasites) have been ruled out by doing lab work. A few other things it could be that would not be detected by lab work are food allergies, irritable bowel disease, GI cancer, and/or acid reflux. To diagnose a food allergy, she would need to be on a prescription diet trial for at least 3 months, getting nothing else to eat (including treats). If she's better on the diet trial and worse when she's put back on regular dog food, it means she has food allergies and should stay on the prescription food. The best way to diagnose irritable bowel disease and GI cancer is to have intestinal biopsies done. The treatment for irritable bowel disease is oral prednisone, and if it is cancer, the treatment depends on the type of cancer. Something you could try at home to make her more comfortable is to give her some Pepcid to treat any acid reflux she might be experiencing. About how much does she weigh?

She weighs 17 lb. I have another appointment to get second opinion. Is there tests that I should ask them to do? She seems to drinking and last week she was playful and wanted to eat all the way up to Friday the day she threw up. It’s just odd our golden threw up first then schnauzer got sick again so many factors in play so it’s hard to pin point.
Is there a food that you suggest is the science hill ok for now
I have not seen blood in her vomit or poop so hopefully that is a positive thing. I will mention this to vet on Monday.

I recommend giving her a 10 mg tablet of Pepcid every 12 hours until you can get her seen by the other vet. You can stick to the hill's diet for now. If she starts to vomit again, you can make some boiled chicken and rice to feed her (all fat removed from the chicken). For testing, I recommend a dietary trial with the prescription food I mentioned. I would also ask about treating her with a course of oral prednisone. If it helps, that's an indication that she has GI inflammation that the prednisone treated. GI inflammation can be caused by irritable bowel disease and cancer. Your vet may also recommend having an abdominal ultrasound done to check for signs of irritable bowel disease and cancer.

Thank you. She has not vomited since Friday at 4am and it was just yellow foam very small amount. She ate this morning but mixed a tiny amount of yogurt in it and did not add any of the new food nulo. But she had toots and some diarrhea for first time since 10 days ago. She also took a very small amount of pumpkin like teaspoon. I might definitely ask for ultrasound this time as this is very concerning to me and want her back to normal. Will the vet have a special food for her other than science hill? I have fed her boiled chicken and rice diet and I thought her poop and toots were worse with that but it could have been the meds from vet it was called metro something. As soon as took her off that she seemed to get better. Thank you so much.

I would keep up with the canned pumpkin - about 1 teaspoon twice a day. Your vet would either have or be able to order the hypoallergenic food - options are Hill's H/A and the Royal Canin novel protein diets including kangaroo, duck, and venison. I would be surprised if the metronidazole that your vet gave caused her gas and stools to be worse, but it could have happened.

have her on the Hills food now that the vet gave me. I thought it was working for awhile and I was a dumb mom and added some kibbles of the nulo food so maybe she is showing upset from that as it’s been since Tuesday that started that. I will try more pumpkin tonight and hope she will want to eat. It’s been very stressful. It’s odd my other dog and cat had issues too almost feels as if it’s a virus like humans get.

I agree that it's odd that the other two have been having GI symptoms, too. I wonder if they all got into something that was spoiled. I could see the two dogs getting the same virus, but not the cat.

Hopefully she will want to eat this evening. If I've been helpful, I would greatly appreciate your 5-star rating. I would also be happy to continue our conversation if you have any other questions.

You have been helpful and I will give you 5 star. Can I give update after appointment on Monday? I hope we can find resolution soon it’s so odd that her poop was back to normal and eating habits were good last week then turned for worse again. So hard to figure out what going on but ultrasound might be next step.

Yes, please feel free to update me. I will keep our conversation open.

Dr. Rachel
Dr. Rachel, Dog Veterinarian
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Dr. Rachel
The vet today took more blood and Pancreatitis test came back negative which is good news. He is also doing extensive testing to check for something viral and if those tests come back negative we will move forward with ultrasound to see if it is IBD. My baby is eating normal again and have added some probiotics to her food and her stools are hard now. She has lots of energy and acting like she feels better. I will keep her on the Science Hill for couple of months to see if that helps in keeping her regular. I am hoping that this was all from changing her food. I would like to keep her around a few more years and make her life as comfortable as possible. Again thank you so much.

Thank you for the update! I'm glad she's doing better.