Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Significant weight loss, bloody stools. loss of appetite.

Significant weight loss, bloody...

Significant weight loss, bloody stools. loss of appetite. dog is approx 18 years old. a catahoula leopard male, neutered

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What is the dog's name and age?

Bogie, about 18

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is the dog's name?

Bogie

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Bogie?

Very loving dog and a well loved dog

3/24/2018
Dr. Rachel
Dr. Rachel, Dog Veterinarian

Welcome to JustAnswer.com! My name is***** and I have been a licensed veterinarian for 10 years. I would be happy to answer your question. I'm sorry to hear that Bogie is not feeling well. There are a few conditions that older dogs can develop that can cause the signs you are seeing, including kidney and liver disease, irritable bowel disease, and unfortunately, cancer. Because there are so many things that could be going on, I recommend getting Bogie to the vet for some lab testing.

Dr. Rachel
Dr. Rachel, Dog Veterinarian
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
we have taken him to our local vet who did blood and urine tests and he stated he had colitis and prescribed antibiotics. that course is finished. the blood in the stool is bright red like arterial blood. yesterday was the first time the bright red blood appeared.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
we have taken him to our local vet who did blood and urine tests and stated bogie had colitis and prescribed antibiotics which is now exhausted. Yesterday the stool was bright red like arterial blood and has occurred again within the past 30 minutes.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I believe he is slowly dying but there is nothing I can do to help.
Phone call session started
Dr. Rachel
Dr. Rachel
Dr. Rachel, Dog Veterinarian