Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My dog's feces looks like red/purplpe jelly. Buddy is 2. He…

My dog's feces looks...

My dog's feces looks like red/purplpe jelly.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What is your dog's name and age?

Buddy is 2.

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Buddy?

He has been throwing up his dog food too.

Veterinarian's Assistant: Hopefully it didn't make a mess. Did Buddy eat anything unusual?

Not that I know of. He goes out in my yard and appears to eat grass, but I don't know if there was maybe something else there.

3/24/2018
Scott Perry
Scott Perry, Dog Veterinarian

Hello. My name is***** and I am a veterinarian that can answer your question. I understand Buddy has red / purple feces and also appears like jelly. He has been vomiting and eating grass as well. I am sorry to hear about what is happening. One of the biggest concerns we have when this happens is the risk of dehydration. This could constitute an emergency, so I am going to recommend a few ways to measure the hydration status. There are two methods. The first is to feel the gums. They should feel wet and slippery normally. If they feel dry or sticky then that is a sign of dehydration. This test only works if he is not panting. The second method is called the "skin tent test." This is performed by gently pulling up on the skin behind the shoulders and letting go when you feel resistance. Count how long it takes for the skin to return to a normal position. Normal is less than 2 seconds. Let me know what you find.

His gums are sticky.
His skin appears to return to normal within 1-2 seconds.

Thank you for that information. He has some evidence of dehydration, which we would classify as 5% dehydrated if sticky gums are present. Severe dehydration is noted at 8%, so it will be very important to monitor this closely. It would also be recommended to have him receive fluid therapy to correct this dehydration.

There are different causes for the feces. The red / purple color indicates likely there is blood present, or it could be food colors. The gel-like appearance is mucus, which is a sign of inflammation in the colon. Vomiting occurs in 30% of cases where dogs have inflammation of the colon, but it can also occur with inflammation in the small intestine or stomach. Parasites can cause this. Severe food allergies, inflammatory bowel disease, atypical Addison's disease, and a foreign body can all cause these signs.

There are a few over-the-counter treatment options you can try, but if he will see a veterinarian for fluid therapy then it would be best to have a prescription given for nausea and to decrease inflammation in the intestine. They should also perform a fecal exam to rule out parasites.

Over-the-counter remedies for nausea can be given with Pepcid and a bland food diet such as boiled chicken or white rice. Kaopectate is over-the-counter and that will help resolve the diarrhea.

Does that help to answer your question?

Just checking in. Are you still there?

Thank you

You are most welcome. Please let me know if you have any other questions. I am here to help. If you have no other questions, I would appreciate a positive review when you get time. Leaving a review does not close out your question and you can come back to any time to ask additional questions. You can leave a five star review at the top of the screen. Thank you.

Scott Perry
Scott Perry, Dog Veterinarian