Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

It looks like my dog has poked his eye. It is red and he…

Customer Question
It looks like my...

It looks like my dog has poked his eye. It is red and he rubs it.should I use eye drops ?

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What is the matter with your dog?

It looks like my dog has scratched his eye it is red around edge. Can I use eye drops.

Veterinarian's Assistant: Where does your dog seem to hurt?

Scratched eye

Veterinarian's Assistant: OK. What is your dog's name and age?

Halo...and he is 6..yellow lab

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Halo?

He has a red spot on leg he will not leave alone. I keep wrap on it so he won't lick it

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
3/24/2018
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Rachel, Dog Veterinarian replied 3 months ago
Dr. Rachel
Dr. Rachel, Dog Veterinarian

Welcome to JustAnswer.com! My name is***** and I have been a licensed veterinarian for 10 years. I would be happy to answer your question. It sounds like your dog has allergies. He might have injured the surface of his eye by rubbing at it. Is he holding the eye closed?

No

Okay, that is a good sign. That means he probably does not have a corneal ulcer, which is an injury to the surface of his eyes. His eyes are probably just inflamed due to allergies. The spot on his leg might also be caused by allergies. You can give him relief from the itching and eye inflammation by giving him some Benadryl. About how much does he weigh?