Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My 15 pound dog just ate a 40mg dose of accutane. Costa, age…

My 15 pound dog...

My 15 pound dog just ate a 40mg dose of accutane.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. The Expert will know if the dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name and age?

Costa, age 8 months--mutt.

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Costa?

No, he is healthy and fine, and eats/chews on things.

3/24/2018
Scott Perry
Scott Perry, Dog Veterinarian

Hello. My name is***** and I am a veterinarian that can answer your question. I understand Costa swallowed 40 mg of Accutane. This just happened recently, is that correct?

Customer reply replied 27 days ago
Just a few minutes ago. He eats wood chips outside and such so his insides are pretty used to starnage stuff.
Customer reply replied 27 days ago
I meant strange.

There appears to be a low occurrence of adverse effects with this medication, particularly in dogs. The most common adverse effect seen in dogs is a condition called keratoconjunctivitis sicca. It is a "dry eye" that prevents tear secretion. Other potential adverse effects include: GI effects (loss of appetite, vomiting, diarrhea, abdominal distention), nervous system effects (hyperactivity, behavioral changes, collapse), stiffness of limbs, itching, dermatitis, redness of feet and , and swollen tongue.

Because of these potential adverse effects, it is recommended to induce vomiting to prevent absorption of the medication. After vomiting, it is recommended to give activated charcoal to help bind any residual medication that may be left over in the intestine.

It is recommended to have a veterinarian perform these tasks. Do you have one that you can take him to?

Customer reply replied 27 days ago
I do. Thanks so much.

You are most welcome. Please let me know if you have any other questions. I am here to help. If you have no other questions, I would appreciate a positive review when you get time. Leaving a review does not close out your question and you can come back to any time to ask additional questions. You can leave a five star review at the top of the screen. Thank you.

Scott Perry
Scott Perry, Dog Veterinarian
Scott Perry
Scott Perry
Scott Perry, Dog Veterinarian