Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My English pointer is 14 years old and very active.

Customer Question
My English pointer is...

My English pointer is 14 years old and very active. Yesterday at around 2 pm I found her laying in the sun and when I called her into the house she could barely walk was shaking and stressed. She was breathing heavy and would move around the house and lay down in different place for about 2 hours until I finally got her comfortable. She is drinking water but will not eat food. She has gotten up to go the the bathroom.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Expert will know how to help Into. How old is Into?

14

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Into?

She ate a good meal around 10am yesterday and seemed fine up until that time. She does have a slight heart murmur but vet said not concerning

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
3/24/2018
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Kara, Veterinarian replied 3 months ago
Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Veterinarian

Hello, I'm Dr. Kara. I have over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian and I'd like to help. Please give me a moment to review your concerns.

Thank you

I'm sorry to hear about your pup, and I share your concern regarding her sudden change in behavior, weak, panting, heavy breathing, inability to settle, and refusing to eat.

What color are her gums and tongue (bubblegum pink, pale pink, white or gray/blue in color)?

I understand that she has a history of a faint heart murmur but had shown any symptoms previously.

I would be suspicious of a few things:
1) Tachycardia (fast heart arrhythmia) that led to poor oxygen levels in the brain and feeling "woozy" This can happen in some breeds of dogs due to primary heart disease, or it can be a primary problem of the electrical system of the heart, or it can be due to a heart based tumor.
In many cases all of these patients may seem fine, apparently eating, playing and normal, until the condition starts to consistently affect oxygen getting to the brain. They may suddenly worsen if the disease becomes heart failure.
2) A tumor in the abdomen that suddenly ruptured and bled. Hemangiosarcoma of the spleen is one tumor that this happens with relatively commonly. That would explain her sudden onset of symptoms. If the bleeding area forms a clot and the bleeding slows/stops they feel better, but they may still feel weak and have a poor appetite.
3) A blood clot thrown into the lungs is another possible cause of this history, but these pups are generally coughing too.
4) Gastric dilatation and volvulus, or a twisted stomach (bloat). That could certainly cause discomfort and weakness with an inability to settle, but I would have her to have a swollen abdomen too, and these dogs usually progress and don't survive long.
5) Envenomation (snake bite or insect bite stings) could lead to heart arrhythmias and feeling poorly, sometimes death, but generally in dogs her size we see swelling at the site of the bite, then later tissue death and possible death hours to days later from organ failure and the secondary bacterial infections that often occur. I don't think this is the case given that you don't mention any swollen areas on her body.

Given her age and lack of improvement I highly recommend a veterinary exam today. The things I listed as possible causes are serious and deserve prompt attention/treatment.

It has been my pleasure to help you today, and I hope that I have earned my 5 star rating. Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen (rating me now does not close your question). You are welcome to ask follow up questions about my response here until you are satisfied, simply use the reply box and let me know. Thank you!

Hello, I wanted to make sure that you didn't have any further questions for me, and I'd like to know how things turned out for your pup. If you could give me an update that would be great, thank you, ***** *****

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Kara