Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My dog has high lymphocytes a count above 19,000. Does this…

My dog has high lymphocytes...
My dog has high lymphocytes a count above 19,000. Does this indicate lymphoma? I'm worried about all the cots of ultrasound and treatment etc. Would it be okay to treat her for an infection w/ antibiotics and then re-test her blood and go from there? I'm assuming if no infection then cancer correct?
costs
3/24/2018
Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian

Hello, I'm Dr. Bruce. I have over 17 years of experience as a veterinarian and I'd like to help. Please give me a moment to review your concerns.

The vet said she was going to meet with her other vet board on Monday to discuss our route...whether to re test blood in a couple of weeks or do an ultrasound.

Thank you for your question about this situation. An elevated lymphocyte count can be seen with lymphoma, but it isn't always the indication for it. A high lymphocyte count can be due to the body's immune system being stimulated for some other reason - infection, immune issue, etc... An outward sign that is a pretty common factor along with lymphoma are single or multiple lymph nodes being enlarged that can be palpated on a physical exam. At this time, further diagnostics should be pursued to try and get more information about why the count is as high as it is. Honestly, some owners don't have the ability to pursue ultrasounds due to cost or pure availability of it where they live. In these cases, it is the option of the vet and client to try a course of antibiotics to see how the case responds to it.

Okay great. So you think our vet would be okay with us treating with antibiotics and seeing how our dog responds first?
how much do ultrasounds typically cost?

It seems very reasonable to start the antibiotics and see who she responds. I'm curious as to how old she is? What breed? Has she been losing weight? Did all the rest of her blood work look normal? One of the secondary signs that can be seen with a lot of lymphoma cases is a high Ca level. The cost of an ultrasound can vary greatly depending on who's doing it and where in the country it is done.

She is a 6 year old Rhodesian Ridgeback. She has gained 40 lbs in the last year. No appetite change. This was the only thing mentioned by the vet on the bloodwork.

Why was the blood work ran? Gaining weight isn't a classic sign for lymphoma. Also 6 is on the young side to have it happen - not impossible, but not the classic age.

She was getting an annual exam. She did have ear infections and a fast heart rate. We ran blood to check for heart worm disease to put her on preventative heart worm meds since that is recommended in Texas. We also ran blood because of the significant weight gain and wanted to check her thyroid, which came back fine.
6 is also an estimated guess for her. She was a rescue. In my opinion she looks just as old if not older than my 10 year old Rhodesian. She has had 3 liters in her lifetime which I know could have aged her appearance.

Alright. Given all that other history, it would seem to be low suspicion that the elevated lymphocyte count is due to lymphoma. Some dogs hide their age better than others.

Okay thank you. I appreciate it. That'll ease my concerns until Monday when we start antibiotics.

I'm glad to help and am hoping for the best for her! Give her a good belly rub for me since I can't. I sincerely ***** ***** I have helped you, and that I have earned my 5 star rating today! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen ( rating me now does not close your question). We can continue here until you are satisfied, simply use the reply box and let me know. Thank you!

Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian