Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My 17-20 year old terrier mix appears to have hemorrhoids…

My 17-20 year old...

My 17-20 year old terrier mix appears to have hemorrhoids from a first time constipation. Do dog in fact develop hemorrhoids and what can be used to relieve discomfort.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What is the dog's name and age?

Baby, approximately 17-20

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Baby?

She had a back vertebrae issue several years ago and recovered .

3/24/2018
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian

You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

They don't, no. I suspect that you're seeing rectal prolapse. Can you upload a photo(s) of Baby's anus to our conversation? You can upload photos by using the paperclip or add file icon in the toolbar above your message box (if you can see those icons on your particular device) or you can use an external app such as dropbox.com/ Please check that the photo(s) is in focus prior to uploading it.

Thank you. Give me a moment to take a look, please...

I see quite an inflamed anus but no evidence of prolapse. This type of inflammation can arise from fecal scalding. Has she been passing stool? If so, is it diarrheic or formed?

She passingfecal and it is small and soft, sometimes diarrectic. She also drags her hiny on the ground as if it itches or burns.

Thank you. It does itch and burn. For now you can gently cleanse her anus with a mild soap and water, dry thoroughly, apply a thin film of over the counter hydrocortisone cream, and then cover the cream and anus with a thick film of petrolatum jelly (Vaseline) which will protect it from further scalding. You can repeat this treatment at 4-6 hours or as needed. If her movements don't normalize within 48 hours, her vet will want to take a look at her. Any dog can suffer transient diarrhea from a dietary indiscretion but at her advanced age we need to also consider more dire causes such as a colitis or neoplasia (cancer) in the colon/rectum. Please continue our conversation if you wish.

Thank you very much. You have very helpful and professional. I will follow your recommendations including making an appointment with her usual veteran. Thank you again. Helping others the way you do is compassionate and honorable.

You're quite welcome. Thank you for your kind words. I can't set a follow-up in this venue so please return to our conversation - even after rating - with an update at your convenience. You can bookmark this page for ease of return.

Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian

Thank you for your kind accept. I appreciate it.