Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My dog has had diarrhea and vomiting for 3 days. Wed, Thurs,

Customer Question
My dog has had...

My dog has had diarrhea and vomiting for 3 days. Wed, Thurs, Fri, and now Sat. He has only ate or drank on Thurs. He is a bischon/poodle mix and is 12 years old. What should i do?

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. The Expert will know if your dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name?

Sammy

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Sammy?

He sleeps a lot. But he still loves taking walks, but not now.

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
3/24/2018
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Kara, Veterinarian replied 1 month ago
Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Veterinarian

Hello, I'm Dr. Kara. I have over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian and I'd like to help. Please give me a moment to review your concerns.

I'm sorry to hear about Sammy's vomiting and diarrhea for the past 3 days and I share your concern because of his age and length of time this has been going on. Certainly older dogs have more sensitive stomachs, but this seems to be persisting beyond what we would expect from mild stomach upset.

Diarrhea and vomiting can be due to an abrupt change in diet, inflammatory bowel disease or even a food allergy. But it can also be related to metabolic organ disease (such as diabetes, kidney or liver disease) due to organ wastes irritating the gut or infiltrative cancer like lymphoma.

Ideally an emergency visit to a veterinarian today is best.

If that cannot happen for whatever reason today but he's not bouncing back with my suggestions he should be checked by a veterinarian and have some diagnostic testing including checking stool samples for parasites, so make sure to take a fresh stool sample with you.

To try and settle his stomach today you can give either:

1) Pepcid-ac (famotidine) at a dose of one 10mg tablet per 20 to 40 pounds of body weight every 12 hours.
OR

2) Prilosec (omeprazole) at a dose of one half of a 20mg tablet per 20 to 40 pounds of body weight every 24 hours.
These will reduce stomach acid and should help if this is related to simple nausea and gastrointestinal irritation. They are quite safe and can be used for several days if necessary.

I would not feed offer any food for 6-8 hours. This should help stop gut spasms and restore normal gut motility. Small amounts of water or ice cubes given frequently are fine as he needs fluids after all that he has lost with diarrhea. You can give pedialyte to replace electrolytes too, but Gatorade is much too high in sugar which can make intestinal irritation worse.

Today even with the fast you can start Kao-pectate at 1/2ml per pound or 1/2 tablespoon per 15 pounds of body weight every 12 hours. This will coat his irritated gastrointestinal tract as well as absorbing bacterial toxins. You can find kao-pectate at the drug store.

If he has a tense painful abdomen, continues to vomit and have diarrhea with no improvement after being on kao pectate for 24 to 48 hours, becomes very lethargic, or runs a fever greater than 103.5F then he really must be seen by a veterinarian as soon as possible. Make sure to take a fresh stool sample with you when you go.

If he stops vomiting after his food fast start a bland diet of 1/3 boiled, lean hamburger (or boiled, white, skinless chicken), all fats and juices drained off the meat, mixed with 2/3 boiled, plain white rice. Feed several small meals a day. You might wish to add 1 to 2 tablespoon(s) of canned pumpkin to each meal if you are seeing mucous or blood in his stool as fiber helps soothe an irritated colon.

Diarrhea can also lead to bacterial overgrowth in the gut. Probiotics such as Fortiflora, Provable, or Benebac can help replace appropriate bacteria. You can add one of those to the bland diet mix.

Once he feels better (no vomiting or diarrhea for 48 hours) start mixing in his regular dog food very slowly, less bland more regular with each day. It should take a week or so to convert him back.

Since Sammy is vomiting and feeling very lethargic it would be best that he see a veterinarian now as if he vomits anything you give him orally that will only worsen his dehydration.

It has been my pleasure to help you today, and I hope that I have earned my 5 star rating. Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen (rating me now does not close your question). You are welcome to ask follow up questions about my response here until you are satisfied, simply use the reply box and let me know. Thank you!

Hello, I wanted to make sure that you didn't have any further questions for me, and I'd like to know how things turned out for your pup. If you could give me an update that would be great, thank you, ***** *****

Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Veterinarian