Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My Lab was walking around funny this morning so I was

My Lab was walking...

My Lab was walking around funny this morning so I was checking out his hindside and notices two hard golf ball sized lumps at the base of his penis one on each side. They were hard as a rock. They have since disappeared. Is there anything I should be concerned about?

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. This sounds like it might be serious. I'll let the Veterinarian know what's going on ASAP. Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the dog?

He is seven years old and has been neutered.

3/24/2018
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian

You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

You've seen erectile tissue of the bulbus glandis - a structure helpful in "locking'" a male into the vagina during mating. Both intact and neutered dogs may have erections! Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Is there anything I should be concerned about? Is this a normal occurrence?

It's normal in the great majority of cases. Less commonly, inflammation within the prepuce or within the urinary tract can "confuse" a dog precipitating an erection. Those dogs, however, are symptomatic - execssive discharge from the prepuce, stranguria (frequent urination of little or no urine), and/or hematuria (blood in the urine). Please continue our conversation if you wish.

Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian