Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

I have a rescue Chi, 2 years old, saw the Vet on Thursday,

Hi, I have a rescue...
Hi, I have a rescue Chi, 2 years old, saw the Vet on Thursday, she might be 42 days pregnant. Too early to show, no true signs yet. The prior owners only gave her a 5-in-1 so she got a booster, got her 1 year Rabies. Opal has been scratching and licking excessively. Is skinny from the male dominating her food bowl, the whole house actually, making her prior life where she was scared of everyone per her owners.
Can she have some Benadryl while she "might" be pregnant. We have another dog, a 4 year old Maltese, who is starting to pick up on these behaviors. She's on Purina Puppy Food but I'm switching her to Freedom Puppy, no grain, dye today. We use that brand for our Maltese.Thanks, Ruby
3/24/2018
Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Veterinarian

Hello, I'm Dr. Kara. I have over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian and I'd like to help. Please give me a moment to review your concerns.

I'm sorry to hear that Opal is itchy and I understand that you want to soothe her skin.

Unfortunately Benadryl (diphenhydramine) is NOT recommended in pregnant or nursing dogs.

Make sure when you switch her diet that you do so gradually to avoid stomach upset. It should take about 7-10 days of slowly adding more of the new diet and less of the old to safely convert her over. Ideally to allow her to gain weight feed 4-5 small meals a day, and perhaps feed her alone so she feel comfortable and isn't threatened when she eats.

There are things we can do to soothe her itch.

Omega-3 fatty acids are fish oil products. 3V by DVM or Derm Caps ES are good brand name products. Use the high end of the dosing schedule for your pup's weight. I recommend a dose based upon the EPA portion (eicosapentanoic acid) of the supplement as if we do that the rest of the supplement will be properly balanced. Give her 20mg of EPA per pound of body weight per day. For example an 8 pound dog could take 160mg of EPA per day.
Cool water baths with an oatmeal shampoo or chlorhexiderm shampoo (which is antibacterial and antifungal) followed up with a conditioner may help. The water rinses off allergens and the cool temperature and oatmeal soothes itchy skin. Do not bathe her for 2 to 3 days before or after applying flea control products or the bath will interfere with the product's efficacy.

A safe flea topical for pregnant/nursing dogs is Frontline Plus.

It has been my pleasure to help you today, and I hope that I have earned my 5 star rating. Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen (rating me now does not close your question). You are welcome to ask follow up questions about my response here until you are satisfied, simply use the reply box and let me know. Thank you!

Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Veterinarian
Hi Dr. Kara,Thank you for your quick response. I will do a gradual switch with her food like we did with Chloe's when we rescued her (7 hour round trip). I'll get the recommended items for her. Giving her the Oatmeal baths will be DH's job, Opal does not like water. Why people use spray bottles for training, I don't know. Chloe's owners used the same thing and she hates baths as well. None of our prior dogs did nor our cats, we bathed them. lolWe use Hartz Ultra Guard Rid Flea & Tick Shampoo with Oatmeal for Chloe is that save for Opal since she might be pregnant or is that overkill if we use the Frontline Plus? Both dogs are inside dogs, btw.Thank you so much for your help, Ruby

I'm so sorry to hear about Opal's fear of water, this poor little one has had it very rough.

Please don't use a flea shampoo on her, as most of them contain pyrethrins and I do not recommend those with pregnant dogs. The Frontline Plus is more than enough and much safer to address flea concerns.

Thank you so for your help Dr. Kara, I feel much better with your input. I couldn't wait 'till Monday to get a hold of our regular Vet. Have a nice weekend.

Glad to help, my best to your new little one!