Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Scout has tight paws and chews on them, front and back,

Customer Question
daily. They look reddish-pinkish deep...
Scout has tight paws and chews on them, front and back, daily. They look reddish-pinkish deep on the skin. We assume there are allergies involved. We cut the hair as much as possible without hurting the pads. We place powdered sulfur in them. Is this OK?
What do you recommend for general cleaning and drying her ears? She flaps her head a few times several times a day.
Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
3/24/2018
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Rachel, Dog Veterinarian replied 1 month ago
Dr. Rachel
Dr. Rachel, Dog Veterinarian

Welcome to JustAnswer.com! My name is***** and I have been a licensed veterinarian for 10 years. I would be happy to answer your question. I'm sorry to hear that Scout is having allergy symptoms. Powdered sulfur will not hurt Scout's paws, but it may not help, either. I recommend giving Scout some Benadryl to control her itchiness. About how much does she weigh?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
She weighs 68 lbs. What about her ears?

She can have 2 tablets of 50 mg. Benadryl. As to her ears, they may be infected. Underlying allergies are the most common cause of ear infections. So with her head shaking, I recommend having a vet check her ears for infection. If they are infected, she will be prescribed some ear antibiotics, and possibly steroids and pain medication to make her more comfortable if the infection is severe. Long-term allergy control involves treatment with anti-histamines. You can also have her tested to determine what things she is allergic to and have immunotherapy drops made to cure her of her allergies. Since she is a young dog, I think it would be worth the effort to try to cure her allergies. Otherwise she will need to be on long-term antihistamines to control itchiness and prevent ear infections.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
OK. Will do. Is that two 50mg given once daily? Or, 50mg in the AM and one, PM?
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Side effects of histamine? More sleepy, more/less appetite? More thirst? Anything else?

The Benadryl should be given every 12 hours. So Scout should receive 2 tablets in the morning and 2 tablets in the evening. If this makes her too sleepy, you can try cutting down the dose to 1.5 tablets morning and evening.

The Benadryl should not affect her appetite or thirst.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thanks. Ratings Stars do not light up.
Dr. John
Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian